Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Bulging Lexan while Skinning Doors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Bulging Lexan while Skinning Doors

What area did you end up heating the most, or what part of the door needed the most forming?
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

Although I used 2 separate sheets, the portion that had to shaped was the lower front portion just below the crossbar where there is a slight angle to the frame. I clamped the sheet on my table saw with the bend line on the edge and as stated, carefully used a heat gun to form the bend just for about 6-8 inches.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
    What area did you end up heating the most, or what part of the door needed the most forming?
    Yes, the front edge at the most acute angle requires the most work (and care). it is doable though.

Cheers
    Don

Well much to my surprise, with enough clamps, I somehow got my left side door skin to sit flat without bulges when clamped down- without heat!
    Could not believe it. Removed and reattached to be sure, and double and triple checked for cupping that would cause the skin to pop back and forth. The door skin looks good with no weird angles, is tight, and no weird angles.

So now the second will be a piece of cake.....right? Nope....will get it eventually though. Atleast I know its possible.
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio