Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

John, could you describe the slotted stick and how you formed the edges. I assume you rolled the edges 180 degrees but I can't picture the process or what the stick would look like.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

The edges aren't rolled 180 deg., Carl. They've just got a little bit of bend towards the surface of the skin in them. I just take a piece of wood - hardwood is good, but pine might work, depending on the thickness and type of metal you are trying to bend - maybe something like 3/4" x 3/4" x 6" or so for this particular job. I saw a thin slot in the face of one end to a depth of maybe 1/4" or 3/8" ( I only wanted to put a little bent "lip" all around the panels to get a little better/tighter fit with the surface of the airframe). I slightly round & smooth the edges of the slot, and it should be a loose fit with the thickness of the metal. Sometimes the width of a hacksaw blade is sufficient and sometimes a little wider might be needed. Put the edge of the metal in the slot and draw the stick along the edge while simultaneously applying a slight amount of "bend" to form the metal. Sometimes a little bit of lubricant, like maybe candle wax helps. You just go over it like that, maybe multiple times (a little bit of bend at a time) until it's what you want. You can go right around corners if the radius isn't too small. Smoothing the edges of the metal first with a file &/or 320 or 400 grit sandcloth is a good idea. It's just a poor man's edge-rolling tool. Practice on a piece of scrap first.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Cleaveland Tool also makes a nice tool for this. I used it on every aluminum skin on my RV-4 and RV-10. If you know anyone building an RV, maybe they have one you can borrow.

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/mobile.../#.WO4P74FMGaM
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

YouTube has a demonstration of the edge rolling tool Mike posted. Shows the slight edge bend that makes aluminum plates match so neatly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbAEuFbFaco
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

That is a handy tool.

Another simple way is to insert the edges of your piece in a sheet metal brake about 3/16" - 1/4" and give it the slightest bend.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Edge rolling tool from AS&S is what I used. Half the price of the above but less precise. One thing about mine that is not ideal is that the thinner aluminum can actually slip a little bit behind the wheel since the wheel is not tight up against the base. If you look very close you can see what is a reverse bend in the opposite direction that is intended. Its very faint and probably wont be evident when paint is applied. If I had know Of John's technique I would have used it but I already owned my tool.
    Eddie

I found that the slight edge bend was very necessary on the bottom and bottom rear angle to get a nice fit with the fabric. The front and top edges seemed to mate up with the fabric quite nicely without any bend.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thought I'd show where I added a panel to give me easy access to some of the components that I mounted on a shelf on the passenger side. With the door open and the glare shield removed, I should be able to see and service these items easily - capacitor, rectifier/regulator, OV relay, power busses, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

I added some reflective/insulated heat-shield material directly under the muffler on the lower cowl. Very light and it conformed nicely to limited curves. It may or may not be useful to protect the fiberglass in that area, but it seemed a good idea to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John,

I like the access panel. I know others have chosen to use screws rather than rivets on the boot cowl - I used rivets per the construction manual so the boot cowl is pretty much permanent.

I might have to add a panel like you have
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN