Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 10 of 87 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

What is a pawn?

It says PRAWNS & ham...the type is small on my iPad, so I had to look again at what you'd referenced.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Thanks Pilot for correcting Bill about my culinary habits! (prawn = shrimp) - I think.

Tom, I guess it just means the C of E is forward of the strut C of E. Hans described the opposite reaction on his 4 but it sounds like that is a finished plane with flapperons etc installed - so It would behave differently. I'm glad you two could detect no damage. I will be interested to see if others have an experience of this - more interested to confirm this is 'normal' and not the result of something I have rigged incorrectly!
    thanks for the replies.

ross

When you have the wings on and the plane sitting on it's gear the first time you fold the wings you will get another surprise if you don't have the wheels chocked. As soon as you pull the front spar pin the pane will start rolling forward. if you try to swing the wing back forward it just rolls faster. If its a tail wheel anyhow.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

once the windshield is installed use caution when unfolding the wings as to not push the wing too far forward past the front spar pin hole . the windshield can be contacted , I have seen a windshield cracked when this happens
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks for the comments and warnings all! I am learning to read all the posts here before attempting anything and it really does help to cross reference the manual.

last two days we have got the wing attach reinforce brackets done and started on the strut brackets. I think it is all going well ....

Off to Melbourne tomorrow to eyeball a Ul Power 350is and chat with the local dealer. Still a lot of research to do before deciding on the engine. Nice day out anyway and we will visit a few airfields along the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good, real keen to get up and have a look
    Matty

Default Spar brackets done

Last few days have been a bit messy and tedious doing the spar brackets but it has all worked out well. Only one question. Instead of using the predrilled hole on the top of the forward spar brackets, I drilled one closer to the edge as I was not going to be able to get the rivet gun on the pre-drilled position (see pic below). I assume there is not real need to have a rivet in the the predrilled spot? or if there is, how do you get a rivet gun on the rivet in that position?
    Also went and talked with the UL Power agent and looked at the UL 350 engine. I have also been monitoring the UL blogs for users stories - I like this engine!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You need to stack very small washers or nuts on the rivet stem to raise your riveter enough to clear. ken

A short length of 1/8" steel brake line with a very small washer under it works great. Also will come in handy when attaching the jury strut brackets. Speaking of which. If you make you make those brackets slightly longer so that when you cover,the bolt will clear the fabric will greatly simplify your life.

Dutch
    Last edited by Dutch; 01-05-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Clarity