Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 21 of 87 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Ross and guys,
    I have been away for a bit and unable to reply.
    You are well ahead of me, Ross.
    I am building in what was a fairly large garage. It is now a bit of an excess furniture storage facility and my daughter has also claimed part as she is now driving.
    It is tight but, I will make it work.
    I think that there is nothing better than making a cup of coffee and stepping out into the workshop for an hour or two. I hate driving across town just to do a little job.
    You are rocketing ahead with your project and I will not be able to match your pace or even half of it.
    Check you PMs for my contact details.
    Rob

It was wonderful to have my new cans of Hysol arrive in the order from Kitfox yesterday - yes, I know it is a bit sad getting excited about Hysol but I've been scraping every little bit from the old cans for a few weeks now!! Anyway, so I was able to bond and river the falperon reinforcing onto the trailing edges of the wing. I had 2 choices for painting the exposed surfaces - before or after installation - I opted for 'before' only because I didnt like the idea of overspray everywhere - stupid really as it will never be seen once covered!

We have a lot of gliders here at the moment doing a mountain flying program with our gliding club. And this morning we had a visit from 3 young glider pilots which was great to see young people flying just for fun. Johnno also fly's his fathers KF 4 and was keen to see the 3 leaf tail wheel spring as he just broke the 2 leaf one on his fathers!

So the brackets where pretty straightforward. Tomorrow onto the hinge brackets!

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default For Bob - Pics of me sitting in it

HI Bob,

took a few photos today to show you the head room - I put some outdoor chair cushions in the seat and I am 182cm. Still a bit of head room left. I think it would be more instructive to make a new post something like "headroom for 6'4" guy??" and you will get heaps of info from tall guys!

cheers

ross

Default Flaperons mounted

Today was flaperon mounting day! This part was pretty straight forward although it is obviously important to be very accurate with measurements and in getting the #1 & 9 hinge brackets square tot he trailing edge and parallel to each other. I guess I now dismantle it all and undercoat the exposed parts! I used a laser tape measure for the measurements and a large builders square to get the 90 degrees right off the trailing edge.

Default Re: I think we are ready to cover!?

Not much to post last few days really as we have just been tidying up little jobs and get ready to dismantle for covering ... at least we think we are. The book suggests we are! But are there any little hints of things to do before we do so?? We have gone back through the manual and checked everything off so far. the only thing that I was concerned about was the rigging of elevator control rods but I assume it is all accessible through inspection ports.(?) So, we have fitted run conduit for the trim sensor and actuator, fitted the flaperons and sprayed all the exposed parts and the flaperons with undercoat. We even had our old mate Noel down for a BBQ and and few beers to inspect it and he is happy! (he is now 102yo and 72 days - best to celebrate every day he reckons!).

So unless anyone suggests we have forgotten something, we are going to hitch up the camping trailer and head up the mountain for a few days R&R before embarking on the covering.

cheers

ross

Good Progress Ross, puts me to shame!

Holly C**p I can’t believe you have gotten this far in such a short time, 1 year 2 months. Have fun on your R&R, definitely deserved!
    Last edited by Paul Z; 02-28-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

thanks guys - actually Paul, it's only been 4 1/2 months since we got the kit. I dont think I am particularly fast - just putting in the hours. Maybe I'm doing something wrong!
    Anyway, a combination of no snow (hope the snow thaws soon Josh) and not working much helps a lot!

Time to read the Polyfibre book ...

cheers

ross

Not looking too promising tonight:

That's -38.5F and -58F with the wind for you American folk

Ouch!! I spent a year in Antarctica Josh and it wasnt THAT cold!

Mt Beauty VIC
    Sat29°14° Sun 30°14° Mon 31°18 Tue 31°17° Wed 29°13° Thu 27°16° Fri 30°17° Sat 27°12°

Nice for camping!

cheers

ross