Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model IV needed mods?

Default Model IV needed mods?

What mods are a must on a classic model 4? Mine is a speedster but the only thing I'm really keeping from the speedster is the flight surfaces. I am adding the bay back into each wing and changing out the landing gear. I've never flown a KF and there's a lot of threads about adverse yaw and lack of authority on flight surfaces.
    Do I need to add electric trim?
    Lager elevator?
    Lager rudder?
    I'm pretty close to covering so I want to make any needed changes before. I would love any advice on anything pertaining to building a model 4
    Thanks!

Default Re: Model IV needed mods?

If it's a classic 4 with the 1200 lb gross weight, it should have the larger tailfeathers already. Also the mixer controls on the Kitfox 4 and later eliminate some of the adverse yaw that was more noticeable on earlier models. JImChuk

Thanks, it is a classic 4.

I would add the provision for a rudder trim tab to the tail before covering. Not an electric trim, just a place to mount a tab or wedge. I have a IV and its a classic IV no speedster mods. I also have the cargo pod and I use it although its harder to do as the stock configuration is just plain hard to access. I'm working on a quick release pin set up and some wheels to drag it around like luggage. I"ll still have to attach and detach for access.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I would add the provision for a rudder trim tab to the tail before covering. Not an electric trim, just a place to mount a tab or wedge. I have a IV and its a classic IV no speedster mods. I also have the cargo pod and I use it although its harder to do as the stock configuration is just plain hard to access. I'm working on a quick release pin set up and some wheels to drag it around like luggage. I"ll still have to attach and detach for access.
    I figured I was going to need a rudder trim tab. Seen several threads on here where they just adhesive them to the fabric but I'll add some tabs. How does yours fly without elevator trim?

yes, you do need electric elevator trim. i installed it on my IV 1500 and its one of the better mods I've done. the larger elevator would be nice to have on mine, I'm not sure if the speedsters have the large elevators.
    if you have the old gas tanks be sure to replace them also both should be the 13 gal tanks.
    if the wings aren't covered, install tubing for an aoa if there's a chance you might want that system
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I did some extensive modifications to the tail on my Classic IV-1200. It was an experiment to gain authority at lower speeds of the elevator and rudder. Thus far I have been happy with the mods and the handling compared to my IV-1050 I had previously.

I did add an electric elevator trim tab. IMO this is a good modification to make.

The rest of these are not necessary to do, but I wanted to do some experimenting and make the plane my own...

Tail.jpg

This is a good before and after of the elevator. Also shown is the trim tab. If I could do it again, I'd make the tab larger.

Tail2.jpg
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 11-24-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

One of the most frequently mentioned issues - elevator authority - can be helped a lot by simply closing the gap between horizontal stab and elevator. Most do it with tape after covering. You may want to look at the geometry and see if there might be something you can do before covering. I did it and it was pretty complex, but l am sure there could be simpler approaches.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Another thing I would do if I have an uncovered Avid or Kitfox is widen the fuselage before covering it. The Kitfox 4 I'm currently rebuilding is now 4" wider in the seating area. The Kitfox 3 I'm doing is 3" wider. Used steel tube on the 4, and glued on wood in the 3. The doors are bent to fit the opening when they have no windows or panels in them, and then installed with the doors in their final position. The Kitfox 3 was covered already when I got it, but I was able to undo the fabric enough to get the wood glued on, and then pulled the fabric back into place. Once again, I can't up load photos. JImChuk

I would make any mods to fuselage necessary to install an extended baggage area with hard floor and sides. Probably just a few extra tabs? Av8r3400 did a really nice baggage area on his. Maybe he has a few tips for you on that.

I really don't think the average guy needs bigger tailfeathers, but if you have a desire to do some major refabbing, go for it. If you decide to keep the original tailfeathers, an elevator trim tab is good to have and so are gap seals so as to make the existing elevator fully effective.

I would also make sure you have a good plate for the com antenna ground plane, as that is hard to do once fabric is on.

And if you plan to do any booney bashing, one can never go wrong with adding a few gussets on the tailwheel attach area for a little extra pounding back there.

And also for the rough and tuff off airport stuff, you might want to add plates to the fuselage area forward of the seat, like they have on the Kitfox Super Sport.

And if you are concerned ever about flying over the 1200 gross, add a 4130 strap across bottom of fuselage that is attached to the lower wing strut attachment, providing extra strength to the wing attach during positive g forces. And while you're at it, put a couple extra gussets on the rear carry through spar (head rack) area nearest the rear wing spar bolt attach. These minor additions will make an already strong airplane much safer if flying heavy and in gusty conditions.

Oh, and on that subject make sure your horizontal stabilizer struts have the larger rod ends on them. The earlier 1/4 inch ones have a service bulletin on them to go up one size.

And last but not least, make sure you replace or strengthen the original rudder pedals so as to avoid broken pedal in flight. That can either be all new pedals from Kitfox, or modifying your existing pedals with strengthening gussets. That is all easier to do before fabric is on.

That ought to keep you busy for a while