Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I fixed the turn

Default I fixed the turn

I fixed the turn on the Kitfox with a trim tab.
    40 degrees on the tab.
    used double sided adhesive to secure for the test.
    Plane flys hands and feet off at cruise.
    May just leave it alone if the adhesive holds like I think it is.
    Or should I rivet it to the tail structure.
    tried to upload some pix, couldn't figure it out.

Default Re: I fixed the turn

I used Jim Ott's design and used double sided tape. Its been there for 3 years and no sign of moving.

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Mines been there 5 years with no sign of loosening. Use the 3M double sided tape sold for automotive trim.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Same 3M double sided tape as Jim - auto trim high strength

Been there for about 3 years

I think it would have to take the fabric skin with to fall off

FYI - Mounted mine on the right side or the rudder like tube and fabric certificated planes often do - nice thing about this it the tab does not stick way out in the airstream - if you look at it from behind the aircraft, 75% of the bend is right behind the rudder tube and little sticks out on the left side.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

So what does this fix? Is there a turning tendency? Is this something that could be designed into the tail before covering? I'm out of the know on this one.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Most planes have some P factor or some out of trim condition during one or more flight speeds. A trim tab in most planes is an easy fix. There are of course many ways to adjust a roll rate, yaw or pitch condition mechanically. I"m not an expert and I did not build my plane but I always had a left yaw tendency. It was actually pronounced. I had to keep my right foot in it at cruise and it was tiring.

I tried washout adjustment, I tried shimming the engine mounts on the opposite side while the engine was off for an oil seal and water pump work. I could have adjusted ailerons etc. I finally added a trim tab. It took twenty minutes to install. the plane flies like a dream. I"m too stupid to upload pix. Send me your Email address and I"ll send you pix if your interested.
    jayandpamela@yahoo.com

I think it has a lot to do with the spiraling slipstream from the prop tending to push the tail to the right (left yaw) during straight and level cruise conditions. Some aircraft set the vertical stabilizer at a slight angle to offset this, but I don't believe Kitfox has done this. A small fixed rudder trim tab is the simple easy solution.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

any pictures anyone?
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

this is my take on a trim tab. you can build the plane as best you can and it will still need an adjustment. I call it a fine adjustment. In other words, you are not going to know what needs to be tweaked on a wing or rudder or whatever until you fly it. than you just put a trim tab on. no big deal. my kitfox needed one on the rudder. so what, stick one on, now you can fly feet off the pedals. My aileron was showing trouble, let go of the stick and it had a slight heavy left wing, maybe it was because I was sitting on the left seat and nobody in the right, don't know. I took the aileron on the left side and flipped up the trailing edge just a little, fixed. On my rv I loose 5 gal on the right tank and wow left wing heavy. this airplane I have electronic trim and I adjust it all the time in flight, same thing, but I can change it. I have in the left aileron a motor with a flap on the trailing edge that moves up and down to change it. it's a fact of life on airplanes. so what, he put one on the rudder, makes flying way more fun not having apposing forces on the stick. my take. one last thing, if you have a heavy wing, better make sure the rudder is right on (trim tab) with ball centered in flight before changing the wing. changing the rudder trim will affect the heavy wing in the kitfox.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I finally got around to taking care of a little left yawing tendency, and then a little bit of a "heavy" left wing. The wing was corrected with adjustment of the lift strut rod-ends... 1 turn out on the right wing. rear strut, test flight, then 1 turn in on the left wing rear strut. That did it. Just the tiniest bit of heaviness now with me solo in the left seat.

I corrected the yaw with a trim "wedge". I like the looks of a wedge instead of a metal tab sticking out. Before covering I had installed some thin aluminum in the proper area of the rudder trailing edge to accommodate securing a tab. I installed a couple of Riv-Nuts to mount my wedge since I've found that the strong mounting tapes can damage the Oratex finish if they have to be removed. With a wedge of course, I knew I'd probably be taking it on & off to adjust the size just right. What I ended up with is about 1/2 the size in width & height of my original. It's just right now, and I'll remove it and paint it white.

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime