Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake issues

Default Re: Brake issues

On a vehicle you speed up and aggressively stop several times. If you just taxied around I’d second the glazing.

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    To break in Cleveland brake pads requires a fast taxi and hard braking to generate heat. If not done properly the result is ineffective brakes. Check the procedure for your brake pads. Just taxing will hot generate the necessary heat to break in some pads.

Ralph
    There are two types of Cleveland brake pads and the break in requirements are different for each type. Find out which type you have and follow the appropriate procedure.

At this point sanding the pads down and do it again. I think you should have a lot more holding power than you mentioned. You should be able to hold the plane with brakes.

If this doesn't work check again for air bubbles and bleed the brakes again.

FYI, I second (or third?) the suggestion to not have a free castering tailwheel. I have lost a spring a couple time and was happy that I wasn't landing in a crosswind. Steering with brakes only can be done but I wouldn't want that as the norm.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Not sure what engine you have, but 3750 rpm is a ton and I’m not sure I’d expect the brakes to hold at that rpm.... my plane red lines at 3700 rpm (2450 prop rpm) and statically I’m lucky to hold it still much over 3300 rpm (2200 prop rpm)

Does not seem like a problem to me.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

I have a Rotax. 5800rpm for take off, 4000 for run up.

Good news, brakes are working great. After doing the Cleveland method mentioned, they now hold at almost take off power. Thanks for the help everyone.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3