Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: First Aid Kit

Default First Aid Kit

What first aid/survival kits are you all using? Did you assemble it yourself or did you buy a premade kit?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: First Aid Kit

Polar bear repellant?? 🤣
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

since most of my flying is alone in the mountains i carry a helmet bag with probably 20 lbs of stuff belted in the right seat. including a plb, things to keep warm and dry, basic first aid stuff, strobe and the like. i thought you all up north were required to carry certain things?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Yep, there is a certain standard to first aid and depending where you are going, survival kits. I’m just wondering what other people have used and if it had good value. Some of the first aid kits don’t seem to have much for the price...
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Yep, there is a certain standard to first aid and depending where you are going, survival kits. I’m just wondering what other people have used and if it had good value. Some of the first aid kits don’t seem to have much for the price...
    It's better to assemble your own. My design goal was to have enough that two people could survive for 48 hours. I have bandages, tourniquet, and burn first aid. I also have a couple calorie-dense snacks (peanut butter packets and lara bars) water purification tabs, A PLB, signal whistle, a few "space blanket" emergency blankets, a couple paracord bracelets, a multi-tool, and magnesium/flint fire starter. The most important thing, I think is the PLB and extra batteries.

I have all this in a fly-fishing vest. My thought was to wear it at all times, because when the plane is on fire, you may not remember to grab your survival bag out of the cargo area. As it turns out, my setup is too bulky to be comfortable on a long cross country. I do sling it over my seat so that I could don it quickly if I needed to. That won't work in the Kitfox though because there's not really a seat to sling it onto. So when the plane is done, I'll need to find a different vest, or move some stuff to a "go-bag".
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS