Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Covering the razor back.

Default Re: Covering the razor back.

Actually Scott, I think I'm going to redo it. I don't like the lack of tension in the fabric right up by the wing holdback tube. There are no wrinkles, but there is very little tension. The bummer is that I don't have a piece of fabric big enough to try the one-piece method. I need to either get some more fabric or settle for the two-piece installation.

I do have some bias tape. My horizontal stab, rudder, and elevator are done and painted!
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Mine also had a "looser" feel but, after the application of bias tape and paint, it feels fine. Not to say that your experience will be the same. I'm relating my experience.

try a little more heat....
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

What temp was your final shrink?? there is a temp at which the fabric looses it 'tension' and therefore will never regain the tension achieved at the optimal final temp. It looks good though - I too ended up with extra fabric and the two piece method - looks fine.

good luck and don't settle for not being happy with the result or it will bug you for a long time!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I have to agree with Jeff. IF you're going to strip the fabric off anyway, why not give it a bit more heat and see if it tightens up a bit more. You've got nothing to lose......IF you're going to remove it.

Something about Young's Modulus rings true in Ross' statement but them's fancy fizics, so get the iron out and see if it goes tighter before you tear it off.

The polyfibre manual says something like "....above 350' the fabric becomes permanently looser...'

I found that is true.....!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Agree with Ross. Tested at 390’ on a test piece and the fabric went slack. Be careful going beyond manual limits of 350’.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I did the final heat shrink to 350, and even if I could have pushed it to 375 without damaging it, the addtional shrink would not have been enough to get the tension correct. Also, there's not a household iron out there that maintains temperature well enough to skirt the line that close. The lack of tension was one of those things that would have bothered me, even it it turned out to be no big deal. So I tore it off, and re-did it with two pieces, and I'm very happy with it. I'm more than happy to compromise on a minor aesthetic consideration to feel comfortable that the fabric is at the correct tension. It may not seem like it until you try it, but the compound curve there is such that you're really making a big demand of the fabric to conform to it.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS