Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: T3 shock style tailwheel assembly

Default Re: T3 shock style tailwheel assembly

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Is it just me or does anybody else think that the tail wheel in the picture isn’t strong enough to handle a hard landing? I am guessing it will bend right behind the shock absorber. There is a reason tailwheel springs are short and beefy.
    Agree. The tubes would need to be spring steel as John said. Depending on CG location, it's a fair bet they'd be bent just from taxiing over rough ground.
    David
    SS7 Builder

At Scott's recommendation I installed the T3 last fall and for off airport it is a world of difference. It has benefits on all surfaces and I would absolutely recommend this upgrade.

Scott, you going Shock Monster? Dam
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

Briain,

Thought I'd give shocks on the Mains a try. I can always go back to my spring gear if I don't like the extra drag from the Shock Monsters. Thanks for the tip on the STOLspeed VG's. I decreased my power off stall speed by 2 to 3 mph. No flap stall decreased by 5. I like the increased stability in slow flight.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Scott,

Give a report back on speed penalties with the shock gear if you can. I was definitely impressed with the lack of bounce Trent would have, allowing for better breaking and shorter landings. The price is the tough one. Are you going to stay with the 26" Airstreaks or go to the 29"?

I am glad the VG's worked out for you. Did you place them in about the same position as mine?
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

I plan on reporting back the on the drag penalty from the Monster Gear. I placed the VG's at 4% of the cord of the wing not including flaperons. I came up with the 4% based on a tip from Trent. Thanks again Trent if your out there. Thanks again Bryan
    Last edited by AirFox; 04-05-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: sp
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Hey Guys, just chiming in here. I like the T3, although I do not "love" it. But I have to say I am not the "standard" customer as I am a little harder on my equipment than most. I have broken mine and it seems permanently bent from it. (that's after breaking my tailwheel springs 2 times before that when still running the leaf springs) Don't get me wrong, its a HUGE upgrade from the leaf spring or grove spring, but the design is not made for any sideloading (which happens all the time when taxiing), and the actual shock they use is really low quality (the one that came with my T3 could be found for $40 on Amazon, that's like worse than the shock on a Walmart mountain bike).

Tony with Shock Monster and TK1 is about to release a tailwheel shock that will be much better designed and much more robust, which I am very excited to try. It will be more expensive but at this point it is worth it to me, many others will probably be fine with the T3. Again, even the T3 is a huge upgrade from the standard springs, a worthwhile investment in protecting your fuselage.

Just my $0.02. Oh and I love the tundra lite tailwheel... I know that was mentioned so I had to throw that out there.

Trent
    Is the shock that TKI is building replace the shock on the T3? If it does let us know when it becomes available.
    Thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by 3 tracks View Post
    Trent
    Is the shock that TKI is building replace the shock on the T3? If it does let us know when it becomes available.
    Thanks John
    No, it is a complete new tailwheel shock assembly. Everyone had been asking Tony for a replacement shock for the T3 but I guess the problem is in the geometry of the T3, so he designed his own system.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Seems to me it will not be strong enough as well. I wonder what the motivation for this is? Seems if you add a nose wheel you would achieve the same.
    The front of the plane went up 1ft and the aft up 10in, So angle of attack is close to the same. The two tubes could bend, this is mostly a mockup. I can easily put 300lbs on the rear a-arm. The shock is fully adjustable. The tail wheel has 6in of travel. All the comments are my concerns as well, thanks.