Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verbiage for Annual Condition Inspection

Default Verbiage for Annual Condition Inspection

What are you guys using for the verbiage on your annual condition inspection sign off? Are you signing off a separate one for the airframe and engine?

EAA shows a general guideline, but as Part 43 doesn't apply to EAB, it seems some modification is required in the statement. Or does Kitfox have a boilerplate statement that should be used here?

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...ion-inspection

Many thanks,

Larry

Default Re: Verbiage for Annual Condition Inspection

I basically use what the EAA has with a couple modifications. I certify I have inspected this aircraft in accordance with an annual condition inspection per FAR part 43 app D and found it to be in airworthy/unairworthy condition. Signature, total time, and date. If it is unairworthy I am required to give a list to the owner of the items that make it unairworthy. The owner must then repair those items and include documentation and his signature and this makes it airworthy. Keeping these records is all that is required by the FAA and when repeated they can be discarded. Mike

Hi Larry,

I have a separate Engine Log Book where I document the details of any work done on the engine, as well as oil and filter changes, compression tests, etc. The Airframe Logbook is where I document my annual condition inspections. The airworthiness of the machine includes the engine, of course, so the annual inspection includes the engine. Any changes, maintenance, repairs or tests I've done specifically to the engine I detail in the Engine Log Book. I only make one entry for the Annual Condition Inspection - in the Airframe Logbook, and I use the following wording -

"I certify that this aircraft has been inspected in accordance with the scope and detail of Appendix D of FAR Part 43, and found to be in safe operating condition." Then I sign my name and my Repairman's Certificate number. Actually, every entry that I make in the Log ends with my signature and number.

I did it for the 27th time on my T-18 this year.

You also want to remember to test your ELT every year, and document that. I have an older unit in the Thorp, and the wording I use for that is-

"ELT tested in accordance with 91.207 (d) (1 through 4), and has passed all tests."

I don't know yet if that's still the proper verbiage for the newer ELTs like I have in the Kitfox.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks guys.

I do mine very similar to John's stating, "I certify that this aircraft has been inspected in accordance with the scope and detail of FAR Part 43, Appendix D and was found to be in a condition for safe operation."

I do a separate entry for the airframe and engine.

I would not use the wording that Mike suggests, we cannot use the word "airworthy" in reference to an experimental plane. They are never airworthy according to the FAA's definition found in FAR 3.5:
    "Airworthy means the aircraft conforms to its type design and is in a condition for safe operation."
    EA-B aircraft do not have a FAA approved type certificate data sheet (type design) to conform to. EA-Bs can only be found in a condition for safe operation, thus the reason the inspection is called a condition inspection.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I'm learning something here Phil. What is it that you get from the FSDO that you must have on board the aircraft when it fly's? I always thought it was an Airworthy certificate?

Great question, I thought someone was going to bring this up.
    Yes, we need to have form 8130-7, which is a Special Airworthiness Certificate, before we can operate our EA-B aircraft.

Here is what FAA.gov says about this document:
    "The FAA special airworthiness certificate (FAA Form 8130-7) is an FAA authorization to OPERATE an aircraft in the US airspace . . ."

"A special airworthiness certificate in the experimental category is issued to OPERATE an aircraft that:
    - Does not have a type certificate (true for EA-Bs) or does not conform to its type certificate (this only applies to certified aircraft)
    - AND is in a condition for safe operation (true for any type aircraft)"

"Additionally, this certificate is issued to OPERATE a primary category kit-built aircraft that was assembled without the supervision and quality control of the production certificate holder."

A Special Airworthiness Certificate does not make or deem an aircraft airworthy. Its purpose to to authorize us to operate the aircraft.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

The log entry to use should be in your Limitations attached to your FAA Form 8130-7.

The condition inspection entry in your airframe log covers the entire aircraft.

David Kelm
    DARF DART

Now regarding the term airworthy. When an IA signs off a certified aircraft's annual inspection and makes the statement that it is airworthy they are by definition saying two things:

1. The aircraft conforms to its type design
    This is the paperwork part of the inspection. It means the aircraft conforms to the data contained in the Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS), or its altered state by Supplemental Type Certificates (STCs), field approvals, applicable Airworthiness Directives have been complied with, etc.

2. And is in a condition for safe operation
    This is the actual physical inspection of the aircraft. It has to do with its condition and wear and tear. FAR Part 43, Appendix D can be used as a bare minimum checklist of things inspect.

If a certified plane is found to be perfectly safe for operation, but the propeller is not listed in the TCDS or an STC; the aircraft is not airworthy. But we can put any prop we want on an EA-B aircraft. If it is determined to be in a condition for safe flight we are allowed to fly the plane and the FAA really cannot do anything about it. The responsibility lies on our shoulders.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Thanks for the reminder David.

I looked at my Operating Limitations and it gives a statement that can be used to sign off the condition inspection. FYI it does not have to be that exact wording. My Operating Limitations says ". . . showing the following, or a similarly worded statement".
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016