Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hand rivet squeezer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hand rivet squeezer

I've never used one, but considering buying one. How are they to use? Does it take a lot of pulling power to squeeze .-3 or -4 rivets? When pulling, is it hard to keep it stable on the rivet?
    Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: Hand rivet squeezer

I used the hand squeezer that came in the optional Kitfox tool kit. No problem to use. Pulling power required is well within normal hand effort. I don't think the kit has enough rivets to justify a more expensive power squeezer. I assume you are talking about a pop rivet "puller". If you are talking about a "squeezer" for solid rivets that's different. Again there are so few solid rivets to install that purchasing a squeezer is hardly justified. Try to borrow one from a fellow builder, or do what I did- use a pair of vise-grips with the jaw surfaces ground flat. Works really well.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Even a Harbor Freight rivet gun will work just fine, most tools today are made in China. Yes even some of the more expensive tools.

The stainless steel rivets that hold the wing strut brackets onto the wing spars are pretty hard to squeeze. There's about 40 in each of the 4 brackets. I about wore my hands out on those. now that I'm old with arthritic hands I don't think I could do another 160 of those rivets.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I know I would not have been able to pull all those rivets mentioned above. I was so glad that I had paid something like $60 or less for the pneumatic puller from Harbor Freight. It makes all the rivet jobs as simple as the last. I like mine. I had a pretty good scare when I Hysol'd the strut mount and went to use my pneumatic gun and it didn't work. I then tried to quickly get these pulled before the Hysol got too hard. I got tired real quick. I hustled to figure out my problem and got it resolved thankfully. Working alone sometimes presents you with little predicaments like that.
    Eddie

The stainless rivets are more difficult but for how few there are, get two pipes a foot long and increase your leverage.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I should have clarified my message, I'm talking about solid rivets, not pop rivets. Sorry.
    Brian