Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting covered wings off the airplane ??

Default Transporting covered wings off the airplane ??

I'll be doing this in an enclosed trailer. I've had it suggested to run a 1x1 inch board thru the spars and hang the walls. The trailer has metal ( I believe they're called E rails) tracking that I can hang them from. I'd use moving blankets to act as a buffer between the wall on the bottom of the wing.
    I've also thought about make a couple of shelves and laying the wings flat on some padding and properly secured.
    I'm open to suggestions or comments. Thanks

Default Re: Transporting covered wings off the airplane ??

This is the way Kitfox got My kit to me. It looks as if the wings are on the floor but I believe they were actually hung on the walll.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For a look at how I did it Go Here

Drawings of my wing "rotisserie" are here.

I built the end pieces with "feet" so I may set the wing on the floor with no part of it touching.

Thanks Tom for your excellent web page devoted to your build!!! Mike

I've done both strapping to the wall and on Tom's jig but on the whole jig. Whole jig is easier and simpler as strapping to the wall you pretty much need three people.

If you need room for the fuselage strapping to the wall gives the most room.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I'll have the fuselage too. in fact the complete kit minus FWF.
    The wings are assembled and covered as is the fuselage. Is there any bolts or anything else that would keep me from sliding a piece of wood all the way thru the spars leaving a foot or so out on each end. I'm thinking of splitting a 2x4 16 foot long. Padding between the wall and the wing and strapping the to the wall. I'd run the straps around the end of the wood sticking out each end of the wing. If my math is correct there should be a foot on each end exposed for strapping. The E track on the walls in the trailer are 24" above the floor and the upper E track is 52". The trailer is 75" wide. I've been told the fuselage is 44" at the widest and the wings are about 7 inches thick measuring from the top of the filler cap to the bottom of the wing. figuring another couple inches for padding that's a total of 62 inches. so I think I should be ok.
    What size PVC pipe will fit inside the spar when making a rotisserie? I'm thinking of cutting pieces to slide in the spars as far as I can so act as an inside doubler. I'm thinking the thickness of the PVC would keep the wood I slide through the whole length off any rivets, plus better distribute the load/stress at the opening of the spars. Like I said, I'm open to suggestions and comments. One last thing, the trailer floor is completely flat, no wheel wells inside. Thanks

No real gain in sliding a piece of wood full length of the spar. In fact, if the spar stiffener is in place (most likely) you can't. A 3' long piece on each end would be plenty. JImChuk

I used a 1 1/2 inch X 3 feet long piece of pvc pipe stuck in each end during covering and transport Worked very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, What' the inside dimension of the spar tubing? You said you used 1 1/2 inch PVC, just wondering if 2 inch PVC would fit? Also, does anyone know the distance, center line to center line between the 2 spars?
    Thanks

No, 2" won't fit.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS