Post Number 12

Early on, one of the things I sometimes found a challenge was the throttle springs on the Bing Carburetors. Bump the button on the throttle and get an immediate surge of power. Doing a little experimenting, I found a way to put a counter acting spring behind the throttle. It is one reason I was never tempted by the newer split cables.
Throttle spring.jpg
In the early 80s I restored an antique car. When timing the engine it was typical to loosen a clamp on the distributor and rotating it a bit to find a smooth running spot, then adding a little throttle and doing it again to get a smooth running engine. With the early Kitfoxes having a bell crank dividing the throttle cables to the carburetors, it seemed logical that if a linkage could be divised to adjust one of the cables with a twist knob it would be easy to synchronize the carburetors by ear. Not so, at least in my ears. The throttle adjustor was a unit that was installed on the left arm of the bell crank with a round knob that was able to move the throttle cable on that side out or in a quarter inch relative to the bell crank.
Throttle Link 1.jpgThrottle Link 2.jpg
My understanding of the typical pneumatic system required removal of one end of the balance tube between the carburetors and attaching the differential vacuum gauges. Guys were complaining about having to pull the tube off the carburetor. To symplify that, a device was made that was epoxies to the separated cross tube with exchangeable middle sections. One with a simple pass through and one that separated right and left sides feeding separate 1/4" hose barbs.
Carb Balance Spacer.jpgCarb Balance Barbs.jpg