Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Tailwheel a *****cat on grass but a wild animal on pavement

Default Re: Tailwheel a *****cat on grass but a wild animal on pavement

I ordered a new Matco tailwheel assembly 8 days ago. I was hoping to hear the UPS man coming down the drive any day now but no-show yet. I usually get some kind of notification either from the business that I order from or UPS with tracking information but nothing so far. So I decided to give Matco a call. The young lady politely informed me that it should be shipped sometime this week. I don't know about y'all but where I come from, that's pretty poor service. I almost asked her to please cancel my order but what's the use. I'd be right back where I started. I've ordered a lot of airplane parts over the years but unless something was not in stock (which I was usually told about up front) parts usually went out no later than the next day. When I call in an Amsoil order, it's usually on my front porch the next afternoon. Anyway, I'm peeeed at Matco. If any of you plan on ordering from them, you might want to ask up front when your order will go out. They don't seem to be in too big a rush. I'm a disappointed and dissatisfied customer. I hope I'll be happy again when I get it and try it out. James Thomas

I am in the same boat. I got an email on May 24th. It said that they they have the parts in stock and they would assemble and test the wheel and ship in 3-7 days. That was 7 days ago and I have not heard anything else. There was however a weekend and a holiday in that time span. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Did you guys try Kitfox. They stock one of the Matco tailwheels for the standard kit. I'm not sure about the part number being the same as what you ordered, but its worth checking; much better service I'm sure.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hey Jim. Yea, I talked to Deb. They didn't stock the one I wanted. They carry the 8" single arm but it's the heavier one. I believe it was 7.7 pounds. It would probably be fine on the models 5's thru 7's and Super Sports with their engines set more forward. I ordered the lighter 8" single arm that weighs 5.7 pounds (part#WHLT-8PL). I didn't want to go any heavier and hopefully a little lighter than my Maule for CG reasons. My model 4 has all the Speedster options (I built as a long wing) with the airfoil tail surfaces that I assume adds a little more weight to the tail. My CG is well within range but runs a little more aft than I'd like. I guess I should have removed my Maule and weighed it for myself. Anyone know what they weigh? James Thomas

The times I've dealt with Matco, they have been very good. Maybe with the holiday and such some key people were on vacation or something. I don't think they are a huge company. One guy missing might make a big difference. I'm tempted to say cut them some slack, but I won't. ;-) Jim Chuk

This is funny, but not...

I just came to realize that one of the hardest to fly tailwheel airplanes, the Pitts biplane, commonly uses a Maule tailwheel

I can't even imagine what having the Maule unlock on one of them in flight is like. You are totally blind in the 90 mph flare, not able to see over the nose at all, so you have to drive it like a train looking only down the side of the fuselage and lining it up with the runway stripes to know if you are straight or not when you touch down.

I wonder how many Pitts with Maule tailwheels have scared the bejeezus out of good pilots that thought it was them, not the airplane?

I replaced my Maule with the new Matco yesterday. It's the lightweight 8" single arm. It weighs 5lbs 7ozs verses 5lbs 14oz for the Maule. I needed to keep it as light as possible to help out on the CG. I had a minor issue with the bolt. The Maule used a 7/16" bolt but the Matco was drilled for a smaller bolt so I had to drill it out. Then the bolt was too short so I had to use a slightly longer one. I still need to make some adjustments on my spring tension, too sloppy now. I think the Matco will do better with less slack. I did some taxiing and it did very well except for the too loose springs. It easily went full swivel just like it should with stick forward then locked back with a touch on the opposite brake. So far I like it a lot. Pneumatic 8" should be better than the solid Maule 6". I sure is pretty if that counts. James Thomas

I haven't put my Matco on yet but I noticed that it looks like it has a bushing that could be pushed out?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I drilled the bushing out. Maybe I should have pressed it out but I'm to impatient for that. I have the updated tailspring with 3 leaves, one short leaf and 2 full length. It already used the 7/16" bolt so I couldn't see any choice but to drill the Matco out to use the larger bolt. I used my drill press to keep it straight. It shouldn't wallow out if it's tight. I think I'm gonna like it. James Thomas

Is the bushing there for strength and separation of the disimilar metals? Looks like a location where things could get wallowed out over time even if you think it's tight.