Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: advice for forum on trailering kitfox to tour US

Default Re: advice for forum on trailering kitfox to tour US

The Aerotek folks have had nose gear planes on display part way in some of their trailers at big air shows. Picking their brains might be worth it not just for dimensions but possibly other experiences they have.

BJ Kitfox IV 912

Here is a Kitfox Competetor Trike loaded into a trailer. Notice the Tail goes up into a pocket. They built rails to run the wheel over the wheels of the trailer.

The second photo shows them loading a tail dragger in the trailer, but you can see the Kick up for the tail on top of the trailer.

Personally, those 2' X 4' ramps to load, look like damage getting ready to happen!

The last picture show a Tri Gear with a Tail wheel Roller mounted on an Aerotech A240. Also a Trie gear tail first with tail low. There are a bunch of picture on this page http://www.aerotrek.aero/trailers.htm

In all photo two blades up one pointing straight down to maximize head clearance. I'd definately pad the wings leading edges.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Z; 04-20-2015 at 09:31 AM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

BJ and Paul,
    Thanks for the link and photos. Looks a little scary!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

that Nose first loading is scary, The tail in first loading looks easy.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

My thinking with the nosewheel is that with the mains in the rear position plus the added weight of the nosewheel, there would be more weight up front than with a tailwheel plane. I know that with the wings back the plane will sit on the tail skid but thought there might be a tendency to "bounce" with the added weight up front putting too much upward stress on the rear frame. So if I put the nosewheel on the trailer floor and blocked the rear of the plane up it would eliminate the bounce tendency and be more stable. In other words, a plane sitting in the flying position would be the most stable.

Perhaps I should put the tail skid on the floor and build a "shoe" or platform under the raised nosewheel to hold it in the up position. What cha think?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

If you positively load the nose wheel on a support, it will distribute some of the load through the nose wheel. I think it would be a good idea.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

trailering a trike,the mains being back further ( closer to balance) puts less weight on the tail until you drop the tail,..if its an open trailer your best approach is with the wings level due to the forces of the wind at speed,..towing it nose first in an open trailer,,with the end of the wing exposed,..you could be charging the wing with air, inside of the wing if its not sealed well,..
    on an open trailer towing a trike backwards,,because of the main gear location and being closer to CG with wings folded,,using an A frame for support connected to the rearward hitch point in tail and the deck/frame work of the trailer would help allot in stability .

on my open trailer towing my model 2, I would pull the plane onto the trailer..connect all my security straps , brackets,,etc then fold the wings back,.it made it allot easier doing it this way, something I didn't do but might be considered,.after the wings are folded in a towing backwards mode,..run a strap from strut to strut by the vertical stab for security in case a pin came out on the support that holds the wing folded
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Good thoughts, Chase.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

I like the tracks to guide the tail wheel up and assist in centering the plane on the trailer. The photo with the Yellow plane shows the rails on the rear door and down the center of the trailer.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Loading a nose wheel on the trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCOn4cUpT68
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder