Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Solo Picture

Default First Solo Picture

In light of Patrick soloing, I thought it would be fun for everyone to post their first solo picture if they have one and some details of the flight.

My first solo in a powered aircraft was July 12, 2005 at CYFK (Waterloo Wellington) in C-GGFV which was a 172N. I had started my training on July 4, 2005 on a scholarship with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets (Hence the flight suit/uniform).

After the flight I had a bucket of water subsequently dumped on me.

Default Re: First Solo Picture

Here is my first solo landing. Summer of 2001. Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do the seats in that plane go back far enough for that tall, young lad? Esser, hows the KF coming along? Since sign off on May 2nd, I have logged 188 hours of pure fun!

My first solo was before cameras were invented? (1972). However, the mental picture has not faded in the least. I was totally stoked and ready! I had been feeding 4 x 8 plywood panels into a set of rolls on swing shift the night before; a brain dead job that allowed me 'fly' the solo flight over and over in my mind from chocks to chocks for 8 straight hours. The next morning, the C-150 climbed like a rocket with the empty right seat. My ego soared having completed the mission, in what seemed like a no brainer. Later on, my humility returned when I got 'lost' in Washington state on my solo X-country...gotta love the challenge of flying! FLOOG

My first solo was in 1974. No pictures either, but 2 months later I had my Private license. It was a memorable moment, but to be honest the first test flight in 1990 in an airplane that I had built from scratch myself was an even more emotional & memorable experience. Now, I do have pictures of that event! I look forward to a similar "high" with my Kitfox!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Floog View Post
    Do the seats in that plane go back far enough for that tall, young lad? Esser, hows the KF coming along? Since sign off on May 2nd, I have logged 188 hours of pure fun!

My first solo was before cameras were invented? (1972). However, the mental picture has not faded in the least. I was totally stoked and ready! I had been feeding 4 x 8 plywood panels into a set of rolls on swing shift the night before; a brain dead job that allowed me 'fly' the solo flight over and over in my mind from chocks to chocks for 8 straight hours. The next morning, the C-150 climbed like a rocket with the empty right seat. My ego soared having completed the mission, in what seemed like a no brainer. Later on, my humility returned when I got 'lost' in Washington state on my solo X-country...gotta love the challenge of flying! FLOOG
    I thought the solo cross country was more memorable than my first solo. And yes the seats went back far enough only in the 172. Everyone else flew 152's but my knees hit the yoke haha.

I agree with Esser that the first solo x-country was the most memorable. Actually going somewhere alone, finding my way, calling flight watch to check weather and wind, what a day!
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The most memorable part of my first solo was that a 172 feels really light and climbs a lot faster without the instructor (~240). The only other difference is after the first landing, I forgot to turn off at the first turn off, so it was a long taxi back.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks. Born April 2 1943, First solo November 29 2014. Independence Oregon.
    Dutch

OK.....first first solo or second first solo?????

1st - Westen Minnesota on a grass strip with a Cessna 140.......1967......everyone had 120/140s, cubs, etc......jokes were abundant about a couple new aircraft showing up at the field from time to time with a "training wheel". Sorry, no pictures - but I did have an old Argus C3 35mm manual camera which was used to snap a few out the window of the old 140 soon after..I have no idea how to change 35 mm to electronic photos

Second First solo........(basically my first 20 hours in 1967 recorded in my log book got lost over the years and many moves....no idea where it went)...start over again....many years later.......second first solo in a C 152 (there were no tail wheel trainers at the flight school) on april fool's day 1991 on tar at an MSP reliever airport........again - no photos, still have the polaroid of my second 1st solo but no idea how to change a polaroid to electronic photos. Private SEL later that summer.

We had a couple people with early kitfoxes at that airport... ..caught the Kitfox disease

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

Hey Dave, Got a scanner for your computer? Scan and place in a e-mail file. Just a thought.

Dick B