Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new guy

Talking Another new guy

Hi to all, another new guy who has been lurking on this site, I have ordered a SS7 kit and am hoping for delivery in January. Thanks to everyone for all the insight and info, you guys should be getting a commission. I built a Chinook Plus 2 several years ago and am ready for an upgrade, have been beating this to death, debating between a Rans S20 and Kitfox. Great to know there is such a helpful community available, looking forward to the build and I'm sure I will be looking for some help down the road. Cheers
    Mike from Niagara Falls

Default Re: Another new guy

Hi Mike,

The Rans S20 came out after I already got my kit. It looks like a nice airplane. I'm not sure if you've flown in a Kitfox yet or not, but I was pleasantly surprised when I went up in a model 6. The controls are not quite as smooth as an RV, but they are pretty close. I attribute this to well balanced controls and push rods. The pictures of the S20 that I've seen look like it has cables instead of push rods which will add some slop and take away from the overall experience imho.

Welcome to the Kitfox family.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Welcome Mike.

Congratulations on your purchase.

You should do great with the build.

Lots of great folks here standing by to assist if you need.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Not trying to create a discussion about the pros and cons of pushrods or between the virtues of a SS7 vs an S20, but:

The pictures of the S20 that I've seen look like it has cables instead of push rods which will add some slop and take away from the overall experience imho.
    Both aircraft use pushrods for the elevator. Both use cables for the rudder. The SS7 uses pushrods for the flaperons - easy to do with inboard control location. The S20 uses cables for the flaps and ailerons as it is a "conventional" separate setup. I can't think of any high wing conventional kit setup that uses pushrods for ailerons - it is simply way more complex than necessary.

As flaps are essentially only used for TO and landing - I doubt cables would impact the "experience" much.

As for cables to the ailerons - if there is any "slop" it is due to mis-rigging or improper maintenance (tension adjustment). If I get into an aircraft with any "slop" in the controls (of any type) - it simply just doesn't go into the air!

So personally, I think the difference in the overall experience would be flaperons vs conventional flaps/ailerons, not "slop".

Just IMHO - to each his own, hence the choices we have.

And welcome Mike!
    Last edited by Danzer1; 12-03-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Welcome aboard congratulations on your decision and enjoy the build

Welcome Mike.
    Looking forward to some pics.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Niagara Falls and a new kit, talk about a love affair. I'm sorry but I can't imagine working on one in that cold of climate, I wouldn't be willing to go out to the Garage to work on it.

(FYI - I corrected a "Spell Check's" auto correct Spelling mistake.)
    Last edited by Paul Z; 12-04-2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Correct a "Spell Check's" auto correct Spelling mistake.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Talking Re: Another new guy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    Biafra falls and a new kit. Talk about a love affair. I'm sorry but I can't imagine working on one in that cold of climate, I wouldn't be willing to go out to the Garage to work on it.
    Paul,
    We have to all pitch in and get you a ticket for the north sometime. Maybe for Xmas. It really is not that bad. I work outside at my job year round. I can't imagine how you can work in the heat waves of Texas. You can dress for the cold but you can only undress for the heat so much before someone wants to put you in jail.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt.A View Post
    Paul,
    We have to all pitch in and get you a ticket for the north sometime. Maybe for Xmas. It really is not that bad. I work outside at my job year round. I can't imagine how you can work in the heat waves of Texas. You can dress for the cold but you can only undress for the heat so much before someone wants to put you in jail.
    Amen, brother.

We had him this far, this last summer for OSH, but we couldn't keep him longer than the week. It got down to 60 one evening and he started to go into hibernation...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

As long as it doesn't hit over 100 degrees, I find it acceptable. Once it get over a 100, l avoid going out. I normally wear long sleeve shirts year around. I was originally from South Texas, when I moved to Dallas area the first year we saw it get to 10 degrees, and the blower on our electric furnace went out. I was working in the garage pulling the blower motor from the furnace, in my Black wind breaker, it was the only coat I owned. After I pulled the motor, I went in. I told the Dorothy (the better half) I was going for a new Motor but before I went I was going to go to Target to buy: gloves, a coat, and a muffler. I Damned near froze to death, I was ready to bail on the job and head back south. I HATE the cold weather.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas