Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: A much faster Kitfox?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A much faster Kitfox?

I often wondered if we were to really clean up (aerodynamically to reduce the drag of) our Kitfoxes, how fast and efficient might they really be? I'm convinced they have a lot more potential for speed than most think they do.

So I think it might be worthwhile for our group here to discuss ideas on this subject.

Now, I know that there are those out there that have already done an amazing job cleaning up their Kitfoxes. But I'm advocating going beyond the norm by adding aerodynamic fairings like these; (as an example)

- The outer wing strut connection to the wing, covering up the rod ends. I've always thought something like they used on Monocoupes and air racers could be used, and yet still be easily removed for inspections?

- Really nice deep jury strut fairings (that meet the 4.25:1 ratio). Kitfox built them for the M4 Speedster, but they weren't very deep, and we haven't seen them since (as far as I know).

- A nice fairing for the horizontal stabilizer strut rod ends and where the strut intersects the fuselage. Kitfox built steamlined struts for the Horizontal, but never for the attach areas.

- A fairing for the lower wing strut to fuselage attachment. But this one would have to be easily removed for wing folding.

- A fairing for the landing gear attach area on the fuselage. This one would likely have to be flexible so it can allow gear movement.

- A custom fairing that would clean up the area under the butt rib / top of door area, and would extend to the bottom side of the turtledeck, cleaning up the area where the flaperon tube comes out as well as the bottom of the wing root. By filling that area in we would also be able to keep our cabins warmer in the winter.

I know that many will think this is overkill for a Kitfox since it is generally viewed more as a fun backyard STOL aircraft than as a cruiser. But let's face it, ever since the new Riblett wing was put on the Kitfox, with the right power plant and prop our little backyard STOL planes make pretty reasonable cruisers. But I'm convinced they could be a lot faster with the right aerodynamic improvements...

Plus, in addition to the improved speed there are other benefits we will get from more aerodynamic "clean up":

* Less drag also provides a better climb rate on the same thrust
    * Less drag requires less fuel, less horsepower / thrust
    * Less drag, less fuel, also makes for better range (you can pull power back and yet go same speed as before)
    * Less drag means you can get places more effectively, flying faster on the available horsepower (e.g.; Dealing with headwinds)
    * Less drag can also equate into more safety. Being able to go around the bad weather when needed (I'm not advocating flying in bad weather, but if you find yourself in that predicament you have more options...)

Now don't get me wrong, as I know our Kitfoxes are already a great combination of back country abilities while also being able to cruise. There really aren't many aircraft that can do both so well on such little power and fuel. But because I happen to own a really fast little 80 hp Model 4 (WOT= 125 mph on amphib floats no less!), it makes me realize that with a few more aerodynamic improvements, it has a lot of potential to be an even more AWESOME aircraft.

I know the current trend is towards more back country abilities. But for the average guy, our Kitfoxes are already pretty good in that realm. Getting places faster I believe is more important, and more practical to more people. And heck, if we could just prove these clean up ideas to be effective, and the parts could be made cost effectively, Kitfox probably couldn't make airplanes fast enough. (although that might already be the case?)

Why am I not doing it? Simple, too much going on. So I thought I'd share this with the group to see if someone wants to try doing some of these ideas to prove them out.

Now, if I were doing it, I wouldn't make it a huge ordeal by making complex molds and forms, etc. Rather I would just obtain some of the material they use to make casts in the medical world (plastic that can be formed with heat?) and then tape them onto the plane, one at a time until I got all of them on it. And as I added them, I'd try to verify the results of each fairing until I came up with a final total MPH increase number. I doubt any one area will make for a huge change, rather it is likely that the combination of all the areas will give us the increase we desire. In other words, there's no magic bullet for gaining speed. Rather, it is a combination of little things that are likely to improve speed.

And sure, this could be just a brain fart I am having that proves to be a big waste of time? But I really don't think it would be, as everytime I put the nose down on my Kitfox with the new wing, I'm reminded that unlike the Kitfoxes of past, it isn't the wing that is holding us back from going faster. So if we could now just make the rest of the airframe as efficient as the wing is, we are bound to go faster.
    Last edited by av8rps; 10-13-2014 at 06:56 PM.