Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Desser Smooth Tundra Tire

Default Re: Desser Smooth Tundra Tire

Jr do you run tubes in yours?

I currently have Cleveland brakes and wheels but their 500-5. So I need to go bigger. I haven't seen much other than brand name that says why grove is better than Matco. I know the brakes on the Matco can be weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeystud87 View Post
    Jr do you run tubes in yours? ...

Yes. I've made small marks with a silver marker on the tires and black on the wheels to show if any relative movement has occurred.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

MangyFox,

Any photos you would share on the axels both in and out for the setup for your skies and what skies are you using?

Here is a shot of my plane on skis. The axles are the same inside and out. They are the standard 1.25" Grove aluminum axles. I just used longer bolts to reach all the way through.

The skis are Airdale skis (now defunct).

IMG_3118.jpg
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I had the aeroclassic 22” on matco wheels and ran them tubeless. When ordering from Desser tire make sure you specify you want tubeless.

I routinely operated them at 8-9 psi and no slippage on the wheels. At least half of my landings were on pavement, they seem to wear very well.
    2011 Kitfox IV
    Jabiru 2200
    Prince prop

NIce looking skis, are the aluminum or fiberglass. I am looking for a set for the Rans S-7 I fly while I am building the Kitfox, I like that the wheels do not need to be removed.

Jim,
    Have you looked the Datum skis? The Datum are retractable, using an electric acctuatot. I have a set for my S-7 but haven't had time to get them mounted.
    Summit also has nice skis.

By the way, running the Dessers with tubes, it doesn't matter if the tire moves a little on the rim as long as the tube moves with it. I just regularly eyeball the valve stem, as long as it is sticking straight out of the hole it is OK. If it start to lean to one side, then you have a problem with slippage that needs to be addressed.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I have 150 hrs on the smooth 6-8.50 tundras with tubes, run them around 10 psi. Have had them as low as 5 psi but would not recommend that on pavement.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    By the way, running the Dessers with tubes, it doesn't matter if the tire moves a little on the rim as long as the tube moves with it...

I think you mean as long as the tube doesn't move with the tire, Jim. Since the valve stem goes through the wheel, you don't want any movement between the tube and the wheel rim. I think I was thinking about that incorrectly with another post on a different thread, when I proposed that it might be good to limit the use of talc when mounting tires & tubes, to help minimize any movement between tire & tube. If you're going to use a tube, the most important thing is to do what you can to eliminate any slipping of the tire against the wheel rim. Making sure those tire bead/wheel rim surfaces are clean, dry & free of talc would seem to be advisable to me. If the tire did move on the rim it would be best if the tube didn't follow it... but it probably would of course. I'm sorry for my long-winded comments about a simple concept.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime