Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Desser Smooth Tundra Tire

Default Re: Desser Smooth Tundra Tire

I know this is a old post but I was wondering what people thought about these 850-6 vs the smooth 21/800-6 that desser has?

They seem to be just the old 800-6 with the tread smoothed down. Any word on if they're "pillow soft"? Weight looks good on them.

I'm about to take off my Cleveland 500-5's and put on matco 600-6. Just not sure if the 22's are much better than the new smooth 21's. Plus I can run the 21's tubeless.

https://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tire...DRA-SMOOTH.asp

https://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tire...LASS-AA4K5.asp

I ran, and still run, the treaded 21s for many hours. They are a great compromise tire. They handle pavement great and will work in the bush very well for most places.

To me the "buffed" version of these tires is a waste of money. They are the same tire, with a higher price for grinding away half the carcas.

The 850s are a little larger, but at substantially higher price.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I see what you're saying. They just seem to be a little lighter and more of the Bush style. The 22s are really tempting but want to run tube less.

I guess I can run those tubeless as well with out issue?

Is there any other options for decently priced Bush tires in 21in for a 6in wheel?

I currently run (and did on my previous plane) the 21/800-6 tires tubeless on Grove tubeless wheels. I have run them as low as 8 psi with no ill effect.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I was referring to the 22" tires that say their tubed. If I go 21 I'll run those tubeless.

What wheel are you on.

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Any reason you went grove over matco?

I went with Grove because they were a "known commodity" to me. When I converted my previous plane (with parts from my current plane, a project at the time), it was a very good experience. The wheels and brakes worked very well.

Therefore, when I finished the project plane I ordered a new (custom length) spring and this set of tubeless wheels and brakes for it rather than starting over with something unknown. I knew I wanted the Grove spring (the "Bush gear" offerings with steel springs were not working well at the time) and much preferred the bolt on, aluminum 1.25" axles (which I also have a second set facing inboard for my skis) over the smaller 3/4" diameter Matco offering, so I stayed with the Grove wheels and brakes.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Has there been much word on people trying to run these 22" 850 Desser tubeless?

I'm pretty tempted to get these on matco 6" wheels but would like to run them with out tubes.

For many years, the Cleveland wheels and brakes were considered by many to be the "gold standard" in my (admittedly limited) flying world. It's what I always had. IMHO, the Grove units are more similar to them than the Matco, and in some ways better. I like the Grove products in general very much. I'm happy with the Matco parts that I have, but glad my wheels, brakes, axles, etc. are Grove.

I'm running 15 psi in my Desser 22" 8.50 - 6 smooth tundra tires and I like them a lot, although I have relatively little time on them so far... all of it on pavement. I've noticed no slippage between the tire and wheel so far. They are lighter by 1.5# per tire/tube than the 19" 8.00-6 Goodyear tires I had previously.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime