Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

With an approx 100 mph (assuming no baffles) wind blowing thru the cowl area how much time does that air have to heat up inside the cowl? I am betting not much more than a 20F rise. Would be interesting to see some actual test figures on this. If it really is only 20F, that calculates (see page 5-7 in the Rotax 912 Operator's Manual) to be a little less than a 4% reduction of engine power. That is measurable but maybe not worth adding a lot of outside air ductwork, airbox, and carb heat controls. Just thinking out loud on an interesting subject.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I just used a pair of tinsnips either left or right depending on how you are orentated To cut the scallops Its compleatly under control and no chance of the sanding drum making a big gouge. Time is not really a factor I think it took me about 1/2 hour to cut both of them. Probably about the same as it would take with the drum sander.
    I wish I was working now on my plane but instead I'm killing time in Portland (100miles away) getting radiation treatment for prostrate cancer. All part of the price for answering the call of duty and serving in the Air Force in Vietnam. The duty that keeps on taking.

That sounds good, rainbird... glad it worked for you. So sorry to hear about the cancer. I wish you the best of luck. Agent Orange?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Yes It's Agent Orange. It's gotten me in several ways and killed my son and now my wife also has leukemia I thought I came out unscratched, little did I know. The radiation now is for prostrate cancer. Thank goodness for the Sport Pilot rule or I wouldn't have a chance of being a pilot.

Been awhile & thought I'd try to post a few pictures. It's been such a slow process for me because of my inability to work on it much because of family issues, and also because I diverge and feel compelled to do things a little differently sometimes. I'm a guy who loves to fly, but I also love to make things with my hands. The engineer in me sometimes goes overboard with re-design or little detail changes to make the airplane what I want it to be. here are a couple of pictures of my cabin heater & bulkhead fittings for it that I made from stainless steel tubing. I've gone to 100% silicone tubing for the radiator, heater & engine hoses. I don't expect to have to replace them unless they get damaged somehow in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

This is a simple little breather system that I made. Got a little drain on the bottom, and it comes apart for cleaning.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

This is how I mounted my oil thermostatic valve -
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Did something pretty crazy, and expensive... I re-designed the radiator a little, and had a custom aluminum one made by Ron Davis Racing Products in Arizona. It's a work of art - beautiful welding. This allowed me to route the coolant line on the pilot's side a little differently, bringing it down through an area where there wasn't much happening - nowhere near the exhaust pipe. Again - all silicone hoses.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Some would probably consider it ridiculous, but I replaced the eight EPDM hoses on the engine with silicone. My plan is to not have to replace those in 5 or 10, or even 15 years, after the original ones would have aged and maybe stiffened & everything is in the way. Easy to get to now.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John, when you finally finish this plane, I expect to see it at Airventure so you can collect your gold Lindy award.

It is a stunning piece of engineering artwork!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos