Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 79 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2969757677787980818283 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

You are right Ross, we are on parallel tracks. I don't think the FAA requires the pitot/statics checks unless the aircraft will be doing IFR, but I want to check it anyways.

Do you have the tools for doing you weight and balance? I am hoping to get that done this week once I get the rest of my parts on and figure out the unusable fuel.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Very similar paths Phil! As for the W&B, our SAAA (=EAA in US) has scales that I am getting up from Melbourne this week. I did the Maintenance Procedures Course that includes a W&B component that entitles us to do the W& B. It is a bit of bum being in a relatively remote location as I have to have a radio tech come out to do the Transponder check also. So it is all go this week - starting the pre flight 'annual today'. It was good to have my friend Pete look it over yesterday and he made some really useful suggestions about little things that I was concerned about.

Have fun with the Stick and Ruder guys and say hi to Paul and Preston from me.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

As per an hour ago I have finished all my final inspections!! Ready for a visit from my Tech counsellor tomorrow and then (if all is well) off to get the AC!!

Weight and balance was interesting. I converted the excel spreadsheet from the Kitfox site to mm and kg and it came out at 396kg empty (873lbs). Just a bit lighter than Phil's plane. I have an Airmaster CSP up front and didn't take too much care of weight at all. The balance shows it would be difficult to reach the max TO weight and very difficult to put it at the aft limit (can't get near the front limit). With Gayle and myself and full fuel and full baggage we are still in the envelope - so happy happy happy!

This could be an interesting week! ( for Phil too!)

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Wow mate, looks great, I'm getting excited to see it up close now, first flight this weekend???

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    As per an hour ago I have finished all my final inspections!! Ready for a visit from my Tech counsellor tomorrow and then (if all is well) off to get the AC!!

Weight and balance was interesting. I converted the excel spreadsheet from the Kitfox site to mm and kg and it came out at 396kg empty (873lbs). Just a bit lighter than Phil's plane. I have an Airmaster CSP up front and didn't take too much care of weight at all. The balance shows it would be difficult to reach the max TO weight and very difficult to put it at the aft limit (can't get near the front limit). With Gayle and myself and full fuel and full baggage we are still in the envelope - so happy happy happy!

This could be an interesting week! ( for Phil too!)

cheers

ross
    The load carrying capabilities of the Kitfox have always impressed me-2 people, full fuel and baggage to boot and you are still good to go! You will have a great performer Ross -shouldn't be long now. Bruce N199CL

G'day Matty,

This weekend?! that is a long way away! Final inspect by TC today and perhaps off to Melbourne tomorrow see Darren Barnfield for C of A tomorrow ...... watch this space!

I wish we had a 'Stick and Rudder' locally - would be useful to do an hour of circuits prior - but I think doing it in anything other than a Kitfox would be distracting at this point.

Exciting times......

Ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Default Final Step!

We passed the inspection and all the paper work is in order .......so, by this time tomorrow night, after a day trip to Melbourne, we should have the Certificate of Airworthiness!!! No excuses left then.
    Brian, the Tech Counsellor who has been inspecting and advising with RMQ along the way, is pictured with the officially complete and ready to fly Kitfox SS7! Two years and 1 weeks from start. A great day. A greater one to come later in the week!

cheers

r
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

FANTASTIC ROSS!

I think I know where I'll be flying to next Monday or Tuesday !

So happy for you and Gayle!
    Jono

Great job, Ross. Very happy for you. I can't wait to hear of your early flight impressions.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Congratulations Ross! You really might be flying this week.

I hope to be able to have the DAR inspect it this week but I still have a few small things to do, plus a problem with the G3X. I con't get into configuration mode with the G3X. I just got off the phone with Garmin Tech Support and I think I have the answer. I forgot to put in one jumper wire at the screen that designates it as PFD#1, so it thinks it is an MFD. I am going to head to the hanger in a few minute to correct this, hopefully.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016