Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 87 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

An adjustable turnbuckle on the rudder cables would not do much for adjusting cable tension, since that is set only by the springs on the rudder pedals (I'm talking SS7 here). A turnbuckle may help some in centering the rudder, but it is quite easy to do when you swage the cables to the rudder (search for post by J. Pitkin on this).

Jim

Default Re: Rudder turnbuckles.

Turnbuckles installed on rudder of my model 4.
    P1110014.jpg

P1110015.jpg

P1110016.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

hey scott, can you explain how the trim sensor works that you got from kitfox? what comes in the kit? thanks, ken

Sure Ross,
    The horizontal stabilizer pushes on the button of the sensor as it goes up and down. You can either input this value into your EFIS or buy the display kit for your panel. It is useful to know the position of your horizontal stabilizer for takeoff. I connected the sensor kit to my Advanced Flight Systems EFIS. The Kitfox kit comes with the sensor, mount, wire etc.

Thanks for the reply's to the Q's I posted - all really useful as usual. Last few days has been hard going as the temps are really high - officially 39 today - more in the hanger I think! Celsius of course. I find it best to start about 0630 and work until about 130 and then start again about 10830 for a few hours.

I got the doors finished and fitted the cargo bay and that about does the fuselage - as far as I can go for now any way. That cargo bay kit is very neat - all fitting very well.

So I pushed the plane over to the side and started on the wings. I have a friend coming tomorrow to help fit the wings for adjustment. It is all levelled up and ready to go! My chain lift is really useful for lifting the tail and levelling the plane!

At this stage the manual says I need to make a decision about the engine - was delaying that but I am starting to favour the UL Power 350. I have been on the US blog site - they will give you a password if you are interested - and there doesnt appear to any 'major' problems with this.

A few photos of last few days - and perhaps we can do a bit of trading - some sun for some snow???? Its bloody hot here!

cheers R
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Ross,

Glad to hear you are thinking about going with the UL. That makes three or 4 of us now. The more interest we get the more factory support we will get but if not, we can pool our resources. At the rate you are going, you will have an engine on your plane before me.

about lifting the tail . the tail is surprisingly heavy and trying to lift it using the handle is a real ball buster . there needs to be another handle on the lower fuselage tube to make it easier to get the tail up . the hoist does work well if you have the luxury .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Desertfox4 - thanks for the pics on the turnbuckles. The ones you have used look really tidy - I like the closed body on them. What is the material? Bronze? - they dont look like SS?

As Jim says, given the springs tension the cables they would be only partially useful in tensioning the cable but more useful in ensuring 'centre'. do you use them much - in other words, do you find them a useful addition?

cheers

r

Default UL power choice

HI again Esser, I dont intend overtaking your progress as I find it really useful to let you work it out first!!!

As for the UL Power engine - I know it doesn't have the long history in our planes ( or similar) that other engines do however there are a couple of clear points in its favour.

1. the obvious one - price compared with the famous 'R' - especially when you consider they come comparatively complete when compared, again, with the "R'.
    2. Its a 'modern' engine - fully fadec - I know all the arguments about keeping it simple. But having had a 'simple' Lycoming 200hp for years in our Mooney and seeing simple require constant attention, I just don't buy that argument.
    3. They have had a few minor issues but nothing that I wouldn't expect at this stage of the engines history and the fixes appear to be undertaken by the factory quickly.
    4. I like the pedigree of the factory and the investment in the manufacturing setup.
    5. Kitfox are now supporting the engine with a FWF kit.

I know there are all sorts of technical comparisons re HP and torque etc but it appears pretty good performance for my needs. Especially when considering adding a in flight adjustable prop to get the most out of the engine. I wouldn't drive a car without a gearbox - it would be a waste of the engine! And I was impressed with that setup on John McBean's plane.

Anyway, still thinking. Are you really serious about the 200hp/6 cylcinder model??

Anyway, must away to the hanger and get the wings on before it starts to heat up too much.

Pics later

cheers

r

My wife is dead serious about it. But with 180. More fuel options and still over kill on power. The wings were rigged for the lighter engines but I'm not so convinced i need the forward sweep especially if I keep the engine tight to the firewall.

when I decide to pull the trigger I have some really good engineering help to draw on so I am not too worried. But it is a daily battle between want and need. I just want to make the super cubs look silly haha.