Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 70 of 87 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Ross, I might have been a bit distracted with the snow...!
    I have made progress thou, I'll post some pics soon.
    Regards Ben

Victoria Australia
    S7 Kitfox 233

Wow! Is that an airliner or a KF? Very nice panel, my friend.

"Smoke came out of my wires" a while back due to one loose ringshank terminal in the voltage regulator circuit...

Way back when I was building my Series 5 (how cow its been flying for 12 years- seems like I finished it yesterday) , I was taking one circuit at a time hooking it up then powering it up to check for success. All was going well and the smoke was staying in the wires. I guess I must have gotten cocky, because on the next wire which was a shielded wire, I made a pigtail of the shielding on one end and connected it to ground. Then I crimped a ring terminal on the conductor part of the wire. When I turned on the master switch my whole shop instantly filled with smoke !!!! I shut off the power in an instant and ran outside thinking that I had fried my entire electrical system. Once the smoke cleared and i changed my skivvies, I went back in to diagnose the problem. Turns out that when I crimped the ring terminal to the conductor, a few strands of the shielding were crimped in the ring terminal and the result was a direct short to ground. Of course that wire was fried along with the insulation on any other wire that on touched. Really gave me a healthy respect for an inflight electrical fire and how to handle it. Bruce N199CL

Good to hear from you Doug! The avionics might look flash but it won't make a pilot of me necessarily! The most vital piece of kit (yet to be added) is that special knee pad device that you demonstrated to me and that obviously makes a real pilot out of an ordinary one. I reckon there is a market for that!

So, good stories of caution form you and Bruce about loose connections and the shielding. I must admit that on closer inspection, a fine strand of the shield wire was the reason for my -272*C OAT reading that I reported earlier. I know have both the EMS and EFIS hooked up to one OAT probe and they work fine. I have also taken to wearing a head magnifying lens now that can easily be flipped up or down when doing the fine stuff - it is great for getting good soldered joints and for seeing things like the stray shield wire. It cost a few dollars at electronic shop and I recommend it for those with less than perfect eyesight!

As for the loose terminals, I have been wondering about that as wiring it up - is there any type of conductive loctite that can be used on those connections?

When are you going use one of those cheap airfares to OZ Mr Floog?

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

glad you found it on the OAT probe wiring

Nice work Ross,
    With regards to the conductive Loctite. None that I know of but what I have done in the past is a small smear of never seize (excellent conductor) on the terminal followed by a coating of clear finger nail polish over the entire connection to lock the nut as well as seal the connection from oxidation.
    Interesting that it showed -272 deg. -273 deg Celsius is absolute zero on the Kelvin scale. Ohh by the way I have spent a few minutes at that temperature. We have a health Spa in Vernon B.C. That provides this for their customers. The only thing they let you wear is a pair of gloves and pair of socks. I will do it again someday, really gives you an amazing burning sensation for several hours afterwards.
    Last edited by Kurt.A; 08-12-2015 at 11:03 PM.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Looking great mate, I'll be at AUSFLY ,hope to catch up

Thanks for the info on the terminals Kurt - sounds like a very thorough method. In regard to your description of your chilly spa therapy, I was thinking 'too much information ..." when I read the exposure details but then you demonstrated admirable constraint and left a lot up to the imagination!!!

Look forward to catching up at Narromine Matt. I am driving up with my camper trailer as I have to be there for a couple of days prior to do the MPC. Hope you have good weather to fly up. I wonder if there will be other Kitfox's there? Jono?

I mentioned yesterday that I installed the OAT probe - MGL supply a very simple one and I mounted in just under the wing. Ws easy to drill through the closeout and route the wire down inside the windscreen angle. Also included a photo of my cheap, 'old man eyes', magnifying 'hat'. I love it for the fine work.

Took the afternoon off and went up to Albury and sourced some AN hardware, the Mil spec brake fluid and organised for the placards to be printed for the panel and rego stickers. (Needed a break from the hanger actually!)

cheers

r
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

............."a pair of gloves and pair of socks"...........

Hmmmm..., My jogging suit.
    Just didn't know the suit was for cold spa's only!
    No wonder I get those looks from the neighbors.

NOt muc of interest but we did wake up to an early spring day - blue skies and 15*c - nice change from the overcast and cold weather of late. I took the chance to take the pane out of the hanger and wash the dust and grime off it and at the same time, sweep out the hanger. I turned down many offers to go flying from friends - attractive as the offers were, it wouldn't get the plane finished!

Today, I finished fitting the throttle and had Gayle helped me refit the windscreen, trimmed off the parts that we need to make it fit snug, and drilled the sides and top holes ready for final fitting. With this nice warm weather, it's time to get ready to spray the cowlings.

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ