Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 32 of 87 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

don't feel bad ross; I went one step further and rib stitched all the way before remembering the flaperon brackets. I just had to cut them out, but I left the finish tapes all the way. i'm ready to spray my wings but may wait till this 100 degree temp and 99% humidity in florida subsides.
    ken

Here are some pictures from N703KA number 1 SLSA factory built.

image.jpg
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Here's a second picture. If you zoom up on the Flaperon mounts it looks like they are on top. I plan on going to the airport, I will get a close up photo to post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Dick, I placed the brackets on the wing yesterday and they appear to sit there neatly - except the spots where the rib stitching goes all the way tot he tip Ken! (you are not alone on that one!), I think I will do the same and just remove them at that point to achieve a smooth base. And thanks for the photos Paul - they are always very useful and the plane looks great! And a subtle reminder about the what happens when 'a man walks into a flapperon'......'

And Ken, I hope the spraying goes well - frustrating having to wait for the temps and humidity. I will have to wait until spring now for the temps to return to suitable for spraying.

Off to make the shelf out in the wing for the remote compass and to start covering wing NO 2.

By the way, has anyone used any type of bedding compound for the flapperon brackets?

cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Here is a close up of the Flaperon bracket. I hope this helps. This is how they do it at the Factory. Oh and thanks for twisting my are to get the picture. It forced me to go to the Airport, and fly the patch just prior to a small rain shower at the airport. Got to put her away and get some rain on me. Man do we need a lot more.

image.jpg
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

thanks Paul,
    I appreciate it. And happy to hear you took the chance to go flying! By the way, your hanger looks great - afraid ours is looking rather messy noe we are in build mode. I am really surprised how much rubbish we generate in the build process. Is that a heater going into the engine? Do u use it prior to flight.

Cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    thanks Paul,
    I appreciate it. And happy to hear you took the chance to go flying! By the way, your hanger looks great - afraid ours is looking rather messy noe we are in build mode. I am really surprised how much rubbish we generate in the build process. Is that a heater going into the engine? Do u use it prior to flight.

Cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Not a problem, it needed an excuse, so the wife wouldn't balk.

I'm not using the heat now. It is now in the mid to high 80s Deg F, and low 90s soon to be in the 100s Deg F so it's not needed. I use a hair dryer and a clothes dryer hose, if it is 60 Deg F, it cuts my run time to warm the engine to 110 Deg for flight. If I don't use it in the winter it can take 30 to 45 minutes to an hour run up to warm up for flight. I have duct tape the oil cooler to block airflow, damned I still have 1 strip of duct tape on the oil cooler, I need to remember to pull it off. I also purchased a phone switch, so I call it before I leave for the airport. That way it's warm when I get there. Be cautious, I went out one day to fine the switch had activated, when I got to the airport I found the engine cowling was at 100 Deg F, on a day it was 40 Deg F ambient temperature. It must have been running for a couple of hours to heat it up that much. Since I have changed the code, no further issues. I just tried the phone switch this year, now I need to find a heater.

My hanger looks good on my side, if I take a picture towards the back, you will see a big mess. The man I hanger with and I work political campaigns, stacks and stacks of signs, silk screening frames, and a ton of junk. We have about 10 margarita machines. His side is a real mess and his plane hasn't flown in 5 years. I like to keep my side clean.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 06-21-2014 at 06:57 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Default Shelf for remote compass

Today we finished off the shelf for the MGL remote compass. It is in the most outboard wing bay - next to the wing tip. I tested for magnetic interference from electric wires from wing tip lights and from nut plates and screws that attach the wing tip - there was no interference on my hiking compass until from any of these sources until they were moved within 1.5 inches of the compass. The position of the remote compass will be over 12 inches from any of these.

Also got one side of the wing covered - a good day!

cheers

ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Default Winter slow time!

Well, happy independence Day to all of you in the US. I trust you will take the opportunity to celebrate and take the Kitfox for a fly.

Winter here - pretty mild really compared to what you all have but we have been skiing all week and it is snowing consistently up the mountain as I type. I have been away working in Western Australia lately and have to go again tomorrow - so no real progress to talk of. That doesn't mean we have lost focus! Gayle was in Melbourne yesterday and picked up more Polyfibre materials to keep going and now that we have our avionics, we are planning the panel. Thanks for all the posts that others are making that always provide so much information and motivation.

Local news is that we have now fitted a camera and weather sensor to our little airport here to provide pilots with some real time information before flying in - we have a bit more work to do on the link to the website but for those interested, especially those of you in Australia, please note the link and send to others who may be thinking of flying in to Mt Beauty. On link is to the weather and the other the airport website - the 2 will be better integrated soon. You might note that our Kitfox build is including in the photos on the website!
    http://avmet.ymbt.org.au/
    www.ymbt.org.au

cheers for now

Ross
    Mt Beauty, Victoria
    OZ

Hi again all! I have been prompted by Esser's return to posting to get active again myself. I have been distracted also with work of all things! And skiing etc. But we have made some progress on the covering and are now on to the fuselage. We also have purchase the instruments (MGL Extreme EFIS, MGL Engine Monitor, MGL V6 radio - already have Garmin 695 and Ipad) and have been busy finding a good spot for the ADHS and remote compass units. Our plan is to have the Poly spray done on it all by the end of this month as we will be away for all of October. And started building a spray booth. Still to make decision on the engine. But enjoying it all!

cheers for now

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ