Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 87 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

3 weeks have passed since i have worked on the pane - had to go and work in Western Australia and then went up to our house in Bali for 10 days. It was all good fun but not as much as getting back into the build! Loved buiding the Bali house too! something about having a project ...

Today I installed the rudder cable guides and started to route the cables ..... I am midway through working through oder posts as i think the manual is really lacking on this point. I have J Mc's diagram downloaded and plam to try and get that sorted tomorrow. I had no idea from the manual that I had to do a cross over of the cables! Anyway, any other tips hints on this would be welcome. for now, here are some pics of my efforts to fit the cable guides - only a few needed sanding and I found a nice tight fitting punch that allowed me to sand them down for a good fit. I have hysoled them in as best I could - they look fine - welcome comments on if I have used enough hysol to stop them moving. Also, is any lubricant useful through these guides?

until tomorrow! ross
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great photos mate, I'd love to come up and have a look sometime, I'm hoping to get a lap in a SS7 at Oshkosh next year, also keen to check out a superstol highlander,
    Cheers Matty

I think you will find that your tubes will break away. A few of mine have and that's with no rudder movement yet. The ones I fix I make very small superficial slits in the tube so the hysol has something to grab to.

Default Melbourne Matt

Hey Matt,

Nice to hear from a 'local'! Anytime- just ring ahead to make sure we are around. is that XWY yours? any clues of other fox's around vic? I am having all sortsof trouble trying to locate a Technical Adviser as required under the SAAA program. Private contact details:
    ross@imaginecgi.com

cheers

r

Hi Esser,

Were your tube pieces really tight in the first place? I had them so i had to tap them in with a hammer. I would be surprised if they shifted even without the hysol so am interested in your setup. But then, easier to beef it all up now than later! Now to tackle the routing of the cables!

Good to see you are making progress but I guess its a bit chilly there right now! nice 25 -30 degree (c) days here at the moment!

Enjoy your summer. Temp here at the moment is up to 29F and 6 inches of snow is just starting. Oh joy, I love shoveling snow! Yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Hi Esser,

Were your tube pieces really tight in the first place? I had them so i had to tap them in with a hammer. I would be surprised if they shifted even without the hysol so am interested in your setup. But then, easier to beef it all up now than later! Now to tackle the routing of the cables!

Good to see you are making progress but I guess its a bit chilly there right now! nice 25 -30 degree (c) days here at the moment!
    My tubes were easy to push in by hand. We must have different tube O.D's

Default rudder cables

Got the cables worked out. Like most tasks in this build, it looks easy after you do it! I don't have photos as my camera battery went flat, but for those coming after, look up the diagram on this site posted by John Mcbean. This makes it clear. That diagram should be in the manual actually. Anyway, the swagging went fine. I read elsewhere on this site that some people were going to complete the swagging right through toy through rudder. I think this would be best left until after the final fitting of the rudder as I suspect it final position is going to vary once covered.

But, why is there no adjustment on the rudder cables? Being a yachty, I keep thinking about a nice little stainless turnbuckle between the rudder attachment point and the cable. Has any one done this? I would imagine it would enable a much more precise tensioning of the cables. Thoughts?

Another topic. Trim indicators? I am thinking simple visual located near the rocker switch. Any advice on this and suggested brand?

Cheers

Ross

keep up the good work. Enjoy following the build. Jealous of the hanger and weather. -51 C last weekend and snow, now plus 5 C but 65 mph wind. Cant seem to win

Kitfox sells the trim indicator kit that I used. Kitfox also sells the panel display.

Scott