Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 75 of 87 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Oz build SS7

I imagine you are following the rotax manuals / checklist for first start. The oil system purge comes to mind, a guy doesnt want to miss that one.

You are very close to the fruits of your labour!
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Very exciting Ross! Don't forget to put oil in it and purge 😁. And double check the fuel lines for tightness (...ask me how I know 😖&#128522. Good times, mate. Flying SOON!

Burp, Birp, Burp don’t forget to Burp it, very important to Burp a Rotax!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Sounds great Ross!
    You will be amazed how easy it starts the first time. I expected a lot of cranking, but it only took a very little. Remember, NO throttle, just full choke.

Jim
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! Yes, followed the purge instructions and got a good clear flow of oil with no air - It took a lot of turns to get it fully purged but they do say to expect that. Then I burped it - just for fun! Yes Kevin, following the Rotax manuals (installation, operators and maintenance) and the Kitfox FWF instructions. I have topped the oil right up as i am guessing that the oil thermostat would not have opened and when it does, the oil cooler will take more oil. And yes Doug, I can't tell you how many times I checked the lines for tightness and correct directions - I am still having another person do a double check. I am especially conscious of the high pressure fuel lines with the injection system on the 912is. I am hoping you are correct Jim - don't see why not if all is right! (it is an injection system so no choke). I still have very fond memories and lingering motivation of a great day with you guys and hope to be there soon - but not rushing this stage.

cheers for now

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default First Start and taxi!

A great day today and great excitement! Started it all up and although the EMS was configured incorrectly, it all worked a treat! After a couple of minutes I shut it down and check for leaks etc and took time to re configure the EMS. Second start all worked fine, with pressures spot on and temps struggling into the normal range. Checked for leaks and other issues but found none so decided to run the brakes in - actually, it was just too tempting not to go for taxi in it as there was not traffic and no-one around. So off I went and I can't tell you hoe good it felt - those who have gone before understand I'm sure - but it was great! I rang Gayle and took her also for a run around the airfield - I am sure everyone thought us crazy but we ended up with a group of locals who have been waiting for this day - ( can't do much in Mt Beauty without everyone knowing!). Only problem is only one fuel pump is working - it think the issue will be in the HIC that comes from the computers and requires us to wire a harness to connect to it - tomorrows job - now time for a little celebration - I think we are officially on the last leg now!

cheers

r

PS although we have video, it is pretty boring to watch an engine start! so just a couple of pics today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Congrats mate, looking forward to seeing her in December
    Matty

Ross , here in the states we have a word for this phase of your build-YIPPEE! Looks great,you are close now. Its been great to follow your build and we thank you for all the photos and updates. Bruce N199CL

Congratulations Ross. It's been exciting to witness the creation of another beautiful Kitfox. Only a half step away now from the most fullfilling day in a builders journey. Thanks for all the great photos and commentary throughout your project. Now your focus will change from creation to flight. Very best of luck with this process. It will be the culmination and reward for your focus and dedication. It will be fun to the tenth power. We are all looking forward to enjoying first flight right along with you and the adventures that will most certainly follow. The sky will soon become your playground. Have fun.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Great job Ross! She looks like she wants to be anywhere but on the ground.