Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 74 of 87 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Did you do the exhaust hole yet?

I did mine yesterday and it was perfect. (look at my photo in my build)

I took a quarter inch wide scrap of aluminum strip and taped it to the bottom of the stainless firewall where it's flat under the plane. The strip pointed directly at the center of the pipe and touched the back of the pipe.

Then I took the muffler off and slipped the cowl on. The flexible pointer laid right on the inside bottom of the cowl. I marked the center and tip which gives you the back edge of the exhaust and the center left and right.

I punched a hole the size of the pipe and then enlarged it with a dremel wheel sander by hand. The curve of the cowl forces you to make somewhat of an oval shape if you maintain perfect spacing around the pipe. I left about 3/8 inch all around.

Back to the boot cowl. I was curious about painting the screws down the post next to the door.

H Jono - see personal email.

Tim, I got it done using Scott's ingenious method of a laser pen to mark the spot. your method sounds like it works well too! Thanks for taking the time to describe it for me. The hole ended up an odd shape like yours to achieve equal distance around the pipe.

As for boot cowl - I didn't intent painting the screws. But can see your dilemma if you intend to do so. not sure how I would achieve that.

Like the pic of the interesting visitor you had too!

cheers for now

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Spring is with us here in Mt Beauty - still plenty of snow up on the mountains but it was in the mid teens today - time to start painting the cowls - and a little project I have to make a fuel trailer - an old trailer that has a 44gal drum permanently mounted on it to go to the local servo and fill up with 95 oct fuel. I know it is not about building the KF7 but it is an important consideration in making the flying phase work well (we don't have any fuel facilities here.)

I also went flying today with a friend in his Cessna 190. We went to our local aero sports shop at Yarrawonga and spent some $$, promoted our fly in in December and then flew to Corowa to get fuel where the Army was running Parachute training. As my friend is the ex Australian Parachute champion he knew a lot of the people and it turned into a lesson on parachuting operations. A good day but not much to do with building the Kitfox!

I will do some Kitfox work tomorrow! Sometimes you just need to go with it!

Forgot to take photos!

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

When the flyin Ross? I reckon I could find a few keen bods,

Hi Matt,

We are planning it for 5/6th December. Email me and I will send you the flyer - I was hoping you would like to be involved. and Jono too. And the other OZ KF's who visit this site - to all of you, email me and I will send the details - maybe we can make it a bit of a gathering for the Kitfoxs?

cheers

ross
    ross@imaginecgi.com
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

It has been while since my last post and been busy . It was good to pull the plane out and see how the paint looks with the cowlings done - looks ok for a distance! I doing the upholstery and a few other last things before I go away for a bit of work - fuel assembly is on its way so I reckon first start of the engine is only a few weeks away. I had a visit form Jono in his Dad's KF4 too which was good as he told me stories about meeting a lot of you at Oshkosh.

Anyway, getting closer!

cheers

r
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Looks great out in the sunlight. Nice color. Getting close to the end now.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Looks really great.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Very nice I would bet you are excite to push the throttle and push then pull the stick back. It definately is a great looking great!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I am back from a stint of work up in sunny Brisbane and focussing on the engine start now! I have completed the engine install and plumbing with the very nice fuel manifold unit for the 912is that Kitfox has developed - it was worth the wait. Gayle has been busy with upholstery and door trims etc and we have had a big hanger clean up as well. Nice to pull down the spray booth!

The exciting news is that I think we are running out of excuses not to start the engine! So, I think it will happen before the weeks out .... once I finish second guessing everything and re reading the manuals etc. I think we are turning into the home straight now!

photos tomorrow.

cheers
    ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ