Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 87 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Oz build SS7 - Vertical Stabiliser

well, turned the plane around so the tail was closer to the band saw and other gear needed for trimming the plywood. They were pretty easy to locate although the manual stated fairly confidently that they would fit with little or no trimming required. Well there was a bit. I find the band saw good for this as long as I go very slowly. there is no mention the the bottom one needs to be cut but that becomes fairly obvious. And the second one from the bottom is fitted on an incline but that seems to make sense to me as the contours still work and it traverses the opening in the steel frame well. Made up the stiffeners - and a few extras too. ( I need to get some more now for the rudder! Apart from that, I am finding it harder to do the hysol while it is on the plane than on the bench as for the horizontal stab and elevator. Not as neat but still strong. A few photos follow.
    Day off tomorrow as it is Melbourne Cup Day here - State holiday for a horse race and it would be un - Australia to work!

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Oz build SS7 - Back from working!

Today it was great to open the hanger doors and get back into the project. I have been away to brisbane, Sydney and Perth working for the last week - I guess it all goes to pay for the engine and other goodies! Anyway, I go away and Gayle has hurt her back so on my own again. It really does go faster when the two of us are working at it.

Today I got the fibreglass fairings done on the horizontal stab and the rudder.

I am getting used to the manual -I have to read and then look at the parts and the task and read again - this cycle goes on several times before doing anything and often includes a search of the site here for hints from those who have gone before!

Anyway, I sat there first wondering if the fairings need to flush to the ribs. this thought was prompted by me trying to fit the fibreglass fairing into the ready prepared rib slots. Then I realised that they needed to sit flush so I set about modifying all the ribs on HS and rudder to 'accept' the fibreglass moulding neatly. I found a small file the best tool for this - doesn't take long and gives a lot of control.

The bonding part was fairly straight forward - except two of my cheap clamps exploded after working for about and hour! the spring in them is too strong for the plastic! I did say cheap ... but the danger is they hit me or something as they fly!

Default Oz build SS7

The day before I left for work, my old assistant Noel visited and spent some time with me. We were alone so we decided to play like 5 yo's!!! We were having fun when a car pulled up outside and say us! Gayle and NOels wife - a lot of head shaking ... but who cares!!! I think this may be a Kitfox record? OLDEST PERSON TO BE AT THE CONTROLS OF A KITFOX???? NOEL TURNS 102 NEXT MONTH.

Default Oz build SS7 - 26" TYRES

I got a bit boxed in with jobs today to decided to start on the undercarriage. All went well with installing the undercarriage and packing the wheel bearings. But is anyone else using the Airstreak 26' tyres? How do you attach them to the Grove wheels?? Am I missing something? I cant find any actual instructions for these tyres and wheel but there appears to something else needed if the wheel halves and bolts provided are going to fit. the wheel halves dont meet and the bolts are too short ???/

Any advice welcomed!

cheers

ross

Default Oz build SS7 - problem solved

I sat and looked and measured distances between the wheels and the tires and it all looked like it should have worked! So I took off the washers and sat the tyre and wheel on a hyssop can to stop the bolts falling out. Then, with me kneeling on the tyre, I could get a thread started. More tonight with some pics.

Cheers

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    I got a bit boxed in with jobs today to decided to start on the undercarriage. All went well with installing the undercarriage and packing the wheel bearings. But is anyone else using the Airstreak 26' tyres? How do you attach them to the Grove wheels?? Am I missing something? I cant find any actual instructions for these tyres and wheel but there appears to something else needed if the wheel halves and bolts provided are going to fit. the wheel halves dont meet and the bolts are too short ???/

Any advice welcomed!

cheers

ross

Default Oz build SS7 - getting the tyres fitted!

One thing I am learning during this build is that there are times when the manual is incredibly detailed and helpful. at other times I fell like i have missed a conversation. I think the truth is that the manual is good. very good in fact. But the manual is a work in progress and still presents an inconsistency in the builders mind. Take my last days trials and frustrations about trying to fit the 26" tyres to the Grove wheels. Now, 24 hrs after starting the project, I am confident about fitting the tyres to the wheels. However when I started I was not sure if I would cause damage to the tyres or wheels if I was to force things. I think it is mainly lack of experience on my part. But what i have learned is to read and read read. then check posts on Team Kitfox. Then look and look and look and think and think and think.

Anyway, not a big problem but thought it illustrates the way to approach the build if, like me, you are NOT a professional!

Here are some shots of fitting the tyre and the end result. the trick was to get the rims in the tyres and then compress them enough to get the nut started on the thread. I did this without the washers and once started , went back one by one and added the washers as each one was tightened .

Default Oz build SS7 - taking the first steps!

After getting the undercarriage and tyres fitted, I did the tail wheel and then ..... she took her first steps!!! 8 lb in the mails and 35lb in the rear and it is great to be able to move it around the hanger and lift the tail and rest it on a drum when needed!!

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Rossir,

It's a great deal when you can first roll the airframe around you shop. Seeing your progress brings back memories

Keep sharing the progress phtos!

BTW - You'll have to say what a "Hyssop Can" is.......sounds like a drink of some sort.

Love the grin on Noel's face......now you know what that "Kitfox grin" is.....just wait till your first flight......You'll get one that will never go away!

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Hey Dave - no, we dont drink the HYSOL here! sorry for the spelling mistake!

Yes, it was a bit of fun to take her for its first walk around the hanger. Even wheeled her to the entrance and gave her a first glance of her home runway!!
    All a bit childish but that's what I like about it! As john Cleese said - the secret to enjoying life is to be a little silly every day!

Installing the stringers today. Gayle's back is still not up to helping in the hanger so my friend John will be there to help fit the rudder now the fitting of the fibreglass fairings is done - I suspect there is a little trimming still to happen.

Default Oz build SS7

I now know understand the talk about the difficulty of fitting the rudder! I only have the fibreglass fairings fitted ( no fabric yet) and it was all finger and thumbs! So I appreciate the tips I have have already read about how to achieve this act once covered!!

Stringers installed now and been fiddling getting the inserts formed up and faired for the ends of the HS and rudder, and the top of the VS and rudder. I used balsa rather than the foam supplied as I like working with the balsa more. Then it has taken several layers of Hysol to get a smooth finish. The best technique I have found is to layer the Hysol on with a knife fairly roughly and then use an old sheet of sandpaper held over the shaped ends and dragged along to the end. The sandpaper takes the from of the end pieces and fills in the indents and gaps. It only takes a little sanding to achieve a pretty good finish.

On to the tail access cover now. I have to go away on Sunday for work and up to our place in Bali for a week so things will come to a halt for while. I am thinking to build wind stands before I go so Gayle and do some varnishing of the wings while I am away - again, thanks to all who have posted wing stand designs - it makes it much easier to learn from those who have gone before!