Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 67 of 87 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Believe me, if Canada had a province with a tropic climate I would move there! It's nice in the summer though! Yeah I am looking forward to getting back to it. An ACS order just came in so I can put some stiffeners in the trailing edge of the wing and cover. I have some other obligations but hopefully they dont interfere too much.

You could by a Winter home in Texas, then you would have Winter weather that was very similar to your summers. However, don’t stick around for our Summers, they are God’s sneak preview of what Hell will be like.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I've been a bit slack of late with my posts but still going. Engine is as far as I can go until I get some parts for the fuel system on the 912is. And I have the cowling pretty well ready for spraying - but it is too cold at present. So wiring and the panel it is!

I have the schematic pretty well worked out now and have the panel assembled, the engine wiring down and the avionics ready for hookup - so into the wiring from tomorrow. Below is a pic of the panel as it looks all ready for hooking up. I cut all the panel with the common tools I have int he workshop. If I was more organised and actually knew what I wanted, then I would have had it all drawn out and laser cut - but that degree of organisation is not my nature so it sort of just arranged itself over time. More importantly, I have spent a lot of time over the last few weeks drawing and redrawing the wiring schematic. I actually enjoyed it as a learning exercise - once again way out of my area of expertise but, heck, learning is what the build is all about isn't it?

For those of you going to Oshkosh, I hope the weather is good and you all have a good time - I know Jono will be there from OZ with his father who built their Model 4 and he is really looking forward to catching up with you guys - Maybe next year for me. Can't afford to build and go to Oshkosh too!

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    I
    For those of you going to Oshkosh, I hope the weather is good and you all have a good time - I know Jono will be there from OZ with his father who built their Model 4 and he is really looking forward to catching up with you guys - Maybe next year for me. Can't afford to build and go to Oshkosh too!

cheers

ross
    Hey Ross,

I have to work this year so I can't make it either. Lets make a plan to meet up for a beer next year!

Sounds like a plan Josh! But I guess you plan to fly in whereas that might be a bit of a big ask for me!

Not much to tell at the moment - wiring is not that visually exciting. I got the HIC harnesses wired today. They are the harnesses that come out of the engine harness/computer on the 912is and that control things like the fuel pump switch, Lane A and Lane B computers, the start switches, the data feed to the EMS and the maintenance down load ports - it is an interesting challenge to get my head around the way the aircraft circuit interacts with the engine and EMS displays. My wiring diagram is a work in progress.

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

I would rather be wiring than varnishing. I have one wing complete through two coats and I keep peeking over at the other wing hoping it would varnish itself

Wiring , a test of patience. I would prefer to do fiberglass work over doing wiring. Best of luck! Take a break and varnish some ribs.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I'm an electrician by trade and engineer. If we lived close to each other, I would happily wire your plane if you varnish mine, LOL.

I LOVE wiring from scratch and working out logic problems in control systems. It's a sickness.

TahoeTim

I worked at Raytheon/Texas Instruments for 35 years, as a Tin Bender aka Mechanical Engineer. Electrical Engineering is the art and science of Black Magic with Electrons. I learned one think in my years as a Tin Bender, if you shock yourself call the Electrical Engineer, that’s his job!

Actually I supervised a group of 42 Electrical Engineers for right at 5 years, it actually taught me a lot more than I would want to admit.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Nice offer Tim but I will decline and leave all the pleasures of varnishing to you Tim! I do agree with you though about the panning and logic when doing the electrical system. - I thought it was impossible for me to understand when I started but patience, some good coaching from my TC and taking the time to draw ( 3 times so far!) the schematic makes you have to think through how it all works. The learning curve is another thing! For example, I am now fairly confident in wiring the many pins for the 12 and 16 pin molex connectors which was daunting to me at first - but learning is what it is all about if you choose to build. The test will be at first start up I guess!

Yes, I remember the varnishing - a few long days and it is over though so stick with it Tim.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ