Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 65 of 87 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

And the other good thing about today was the Airmaster Prop arrived - it is always fun to unpack the boxes of goodies - the blades are Whirlwind 75". With the panel controller, the panel equipment is now ready for final install - I think...

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Sorry to go back to the check valve. But wanted to ask if that was a rotax thing, because i dont seem to have a check valve in my kit, for continental o-200.

You don't need a check valve with an O-200. An engine like yours with a carburetor only needs to have fuel make it to the carb; there is no return.

I have an IO-240 engine and it requires a check valve. The fuel pump in an injected engine produces more fuel than the engine needs and the excess is returned to the header tank. A check valve is used on the return fuel line so that it ONLY goes back to the header tank.

I'm not familiar with the Rotax engines, but apparently it needs a fuel return line too. If you look at Ross' pictures you will see that the line with the check valve is returning to the top of the header tank.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

HI Ken,

Have only just seen your post and question. the check valve came as part of the FWF kit for the Rotax 912is- li,e Phil says, the fuel injected engine has to maintain a high fuel pressure and there is a constant flow back to the header tank of unused fuel (I think this is right Phil?) - not sure if there is a check valve with the non-injected engines. I am sure others here will know.

cheers
    ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

All wires, antennae and fuel lines are now up the fire wall/ behind panel. This took linger than I imagined as the best routing was not immediately apparent. I finally took a central route for wire up through the console - over the top of fuel lines. I ran the VHF ad the transponder aerials each side of the cockpit to keep them away first he electrical wiring. I did need to make up a restraining bracket to keep the wiring clear of the elevator bell crank. It turned out pretty neat and will be receive some final tidying up when I start of wiring behind the panel.

cheers Ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Next up was the cowling .... a lot of guessing ad timid cuts and we are slowly getting there - a fair bit more landing and filing tomorrow and hopefully it will be all sitting nicely. This is definitely a two person job as handling the two parts is awkward!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

And the final post for the day!!!!

later this afternoon Jono called by in his KF4, followed close behind his friend Louise in her Super Cub with a friend - nice visit to keep the enthusiasm up!

cheers

ross

PS. the Kitfox blitzed the cub in take off and climb (admittedly, Louise had 2 up)
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Looking great Ross. She really looks like she wants to fly with that cowl on.

Hey Josh - good to hear from you - how is your's going?

I have had a couple of distractions last few days with elderly mother stuff and the diesel generator playing up .... But ..... still making some progress. Today was a learning day about the CSU of the Airmaster - finally got the slip ring, extension flange, control unit and spinner installed! This is a a lovely setup.
    Now for the rest of the engine....

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Hey Ross, I have a contract in Northern Alberta right now so the project has been put on hold for a bit while I'm gone. Hoping to be able to pick away at it on my days off.