Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 64 of 87 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Greetings,Ross
    Yeah it would have been great to meet you. Oh well maybe next time. As for my plane being in the state of repair it is in. As has been stated so eloquently by many others before me,Sh#t happens! It is best to learn from those screw ups & move on. Anyway, I hope you have a good trip home, and I for one am really looking forward to your finishing the build.

Dutch

Default Re: Back into it.

After a great 'Kitfox Holiday' to the USA, it was time to get back into it today. I got started on the plumbing the fuel lines fwd of the header tank - what fun snaking the fuel line from the header tank to the on/off valve on the console! Anyway, it is good to be back into it and will hopefully get the lines up the fire wall tomorrow and make a start on running the wires from the wing tips.

Jono also flew into today in his Dad's KF4 and did some gliding with the local club, and twisted my arm to go flying for a while! Here's a link to Jono leaving Mt Beauty this afternoon. Thanks Jono! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeJY7UhrSvo

Can't wait until tomorrow to get back into it!

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

The days are cold and short here but my motivation overcomes concerns of frost bight at the moment, so pressing on! Today I got the aluminium full lines done up to the firewall. It was a slow job, exacerbated by the fact that it was the first time I have worked with aluminium fuel line and faring fittings. Slowly slowly. I think it finished up ok - I used a lot of hose to support the lines and protect them at any possible site of chaffing. What did I learn? 1. that there is an optimum amount of flare before the tube will crack! 2.That the mating of the tube with the fitting is pretty critical for the female fitting to screw on easily - actually a good indication if the bends and matching is correct. 3. That I admire the skill of tradesmen who do this work so much better than I do!

Tomorrow is another challenge!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Very nicely done. And good timing as I am about to do the same. Ken

Thanks Ken - I don't really know if it is a good job or not so I guess that is one of the reasons I post these things to get feedback from the group! I found there is a fair bit of excess tube so suggest you practice the flares to get a feel for the optimal fit and see have far is too far. (You are probably well versed in this so sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs!). Also. I chose to position the check valve just in front of the passengers control column - the manual calls for it under the console but it is pretty tight in there and there is a fair bit of room where I located it and it is easier to work on - can't see that it makes much difference where it is located(?). Have fun.

cheers

Ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Ross,

Very nice, it looks as good as the factory did on my SLSA.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Ross,

That looks really good and it doesn't matter where you put the check valve.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Great job.

I am not quite to that stage but I am surprised that the check valve isn't mounted right at the header tank. Maybe the theory is to install it horizontally.

Actually it is best to install the check valve vertically, since it either does not have or has a VERY light spring behind the poppet. It will seat better after having been open if gravity is helping. Doubt if it is a big deal, many have installed horizontally.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have been a bit slow over the last few days - learning a few things about molex fittings and crimping etc plus a trip for some wire takes up time. But I have got the wiring from the tail and wing tips back through the wing spars, snaked their way forward missing controls and conflict with fuel lines and into the area behind the panel (where it will all miraculaously sort itself out!). It was fun to test the lights too and even more pleasing to see they actually work. Learning to use the different crimpers and types of crimp fittings is actually enjoyable!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ