Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 62 of 87 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Ross,
    Keep those kitfoxes warmed up for me. I'll be out there next week to start my training.
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

Thanks for the encouragement Jim! I'm SLOWLY getting there! And I passed on your regards Paul. You guys are so lucky to have a dedicated Kitfox school here in the US!

And John, I can assure you that the Kitfoxes don't need much warming up as it is in the 90's! .... but I hope you enjoy it and get as much from it as I am.

I did another few hours today and will do a few more hours tomorrow before starting to travel over to Portland. Today we did all the simulated failure stuff today, as well as testing the toughness of the undercarriage by landing the aircraft at 10ft! I guess I am the only one to have done that eh?? Apart from that ..... I am really impressed with the 'impossible turn capabilities' of the Kitfox - I would have never dared to attempt that in the Mooney. I never want to have to do it though!

Gayle did a backcountry trip this morning also - although she has gone solo back home for her GA license about 4 yrs ago, she was really nervous! Preston said it took her half an hour to mutter more than a word! But she came back smiling and loving the Kitfox - so what more can I ask for?!

Time to sample the local ales I think!

cheers

Ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Ross,

Have a local Ale for me!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I can't wait for my turn the week following the open house.

Can you share the impossible turn performance of the kitfox?

I have tested my Zenith 601 and best crank and bank turn I could pull off would lose 700ft. I set the target altitude bug on my Dynon to 800ft above the turf before I roll so when I reach the target she says "target altitude reached". From then on I know I can survive the I turn. It may seem extreme but until you come to KTVL you wouldn't understand...too sketchy to put a plane down anywhere within 5 miles unless a golf course counts.

ROSS

I know you are not the only one that has dropped one in. I did my fair share, along with a very memorable bad landing at Lancaster Airport, in my Kitfox. For some reason I forgot how to land a Tail Dragger. Three really nice landings in a row, and one that looked like I had never flown a Tail Dragger before. Nothing damaged but my ego. I’m pleased to hear you are enjoying your Holiday, and your Kitfox Training.

Have a Great Holiday!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Tim, I think there are many others on this forum more qualified to talk about the capability of the Kitfox and the ability to make the I.T. However, basically from about 600ft on crosswind it was not difficult and in fact, the issue became one of too much height at the threshold rather than making it. But, of course, always best to do this first time with experienced instructor as the transition to glide attitude and R.O.T. is critical.

Pics are of Gayle's day out!

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    Ross,

Have a local Ale for me!
    Hard to beat Bar Gernika off Capitol Street downtown.

Thanks for the info. I have never done the turn "live". I practice at 4000 agl using a road below as a target.

Actually Tim, we did the turn from 400ft and 500ft - not 600ft as I said ( I checked with Preston today) so I guess you will enjoy seeing that for yourself soon.

I finished off my training today with a 3.4hr session and got to a stage where I was deemed safe enough to do my own first flying - so I am a happy man! Still a lot to learn and polish but that will no doubt come with regular flying in my own plane - nice motivation to finish it off now! S&R certainly offer us Kitfox people a great service and I can thoroughly endorse them.

Off to Portland tomorrow - at least some of the way, Now looking forward to catching up with some Kitfox owners in that area and learning from them and their experiences in building and flying their planes!

We are leaving Boise with a lot of good memories, new knowledge and skills as well as a big box full of our upholstery kit, battery tray for our EarthX Battery (a work of art!) ... and an appreciation of the skills of Idaho Brewers!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Default Portland Kitfox guys turn it on for a lad from down under!

My excellent US adventure continued today when I met up with the Portland Kitfox trio of Jim, Scott and Doug at Fairways Airport, just south of Oregon City as Gayle attended a conference in Portland. (Guess who had the fun day!) These guys are a fantastic group of Kitfox flyers who gave me a great Kitfox day! That showed me their planes, shared their knowledge and took me on a great flying adventure around their local area. For me to have three Kitfox aircraft lined up, all finished only a 1-2 years ago, was an opportunity so timely given that I am in the final stages of my build. Three great planes and three great pilots. We went south and stopped off at grass strips, river beds and little regional airports. We stopped for lunch at Lebanon, got out each time we landed and talked Kitfox. These guys were so generous to share the day and their knowledge with me. Now, it is time to get home and finish the plane so I will be ready to repay the experience! Thanks guys - I will let the photos tell the story (and you can explain the tire washing Scott!)

cheers
    Ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ