Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 61 of 87 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Based in YBLA (space in hangar if anybody wants to fly-in for a weekend)

Default Battery

Back from a week away working and into the wiring - at least the planning of it! I have my SAAA Technical Adviser (Brian Ham) here for a couple of days, and we are sorting everything out .. slowly!

My battery arrived from the USA today and they are well worth a good look at their web site - specifically about the built in Battery Management System. Rotax have a Mandatory Alert Service Bulletin out for the Rotax 912is in regard to the use of Lithium Ion Batteries with the 912is - I believe that this battery meets the requirements.

I believe Kitfox can supply these batteries and John McBean is very knowledgable about them. I like the really advanced BMS and there being no need for a special charger to balance the batteries as the BMS negates the need for that ( as well as making them safe!).

Cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

We have been using and testing this battery for a bit now because of the built in battery management system. Protects against over-charge, dis-charge, balances during use from the ships alternator. We do not have final pricing on the battery tray yet.. the battery is $259 (24 eqAH 270 CCA) and $349 (36 eqAH 405 CCA).
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Default Wiring the 912is

That looks like a nice battery tray John - I am in the market for one as soon as they are ready!

It has been an interesting couple of days with Brian helping organise the wiring schematics - I have used a few provided by people on this site as a starting point (thanks Scott) and then set about modifying it. I realise that it is primarily a process of understanding how it all works before doing the actual wiring. i am seeing the system as having three separate but integrated systems - the 912is system, the MGL avionics system and the general aircraft system, The (!@is system is different from the 912uls as it has the ECU. For those who are about to wire this, one thing to note is that both he Rotax and Kitfox FWF manuals refer to a 'back up battery' switch. It took us a long time searching for the location and function of the 'back up battery' before realising there is not one - there is only the 'back up battery' switch that provides back-up power from the battery in the event of generator failure. W now call this the Aux Power switch.

There were a few other things we need to check on with the MGL people regarding the data cables coming out of the ECU - another case of talking it through until it all makes sense and the verifying our understanding with the company!

So now I am ordering the circuit breakers and extra switches and wire to get on with it when I return from the USA in a couple of weeks - looking forward to the flying with Stick and Rudder, visiting with Gayle to the factory and meeting up with Scott and Jim in Portland!

a few general photos and a couple of Brian's lovely Sonex (sad to read the post by DF4).

cheers for now .. must prepare for a 14 hr flight across the ditch!

Ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Default Ross and Gayle's excellent adventure

After a long flight and an interesting drive from Portland OR to Boise, we visited the Kitfox yesterday. It was great to tour the factory and compare our efforts with those of the SLA's! We can certainly see the difference but reckon we have made a fair effort! We really appreciate the time John and Debra gave us and it was also good to catch up with Brandon who I met on my last visit. We also met Mike and Michelle from Sth Carolina (?) who were there to pick up there kit and drive it home- look forward to seeing the posts of progress Mike and Michelle!

Onward to meet up with Phil Nelson at Nampa and see his lovely work on his model 5! this is going to be a very nice aeroplane and should be flying before too much longer - no pressure Phil! It was great to meet up with phil after chatting on this site for a year or 2 and also to have dinner with him and Kris and hear of their adventure of many years in West Papua as a pilot - now that is extreme back country flying!

Today we are off to start some truing with S&R so excited about that too! This is a good holiday!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Ross- glad you got to visit the factory and with Phil. Enjoy your time with Paul. He's a great instructor and also happens to have really fun aircraft.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I bet you wouldn't be wearing tshirt and shorts back here... Snow season just started and seems there is plenty of snow.. Last weekend was the first time I actually wished I had a heater in the Kitfox.

That'll teach me for laughing when you showed me your heater install

Jono

Thanks DF4 - enjoying every minute of the 'Kitfox holiday' and being in your amazing country. Had a great session today with Preston - my aim is preparation for first flight (hopefully around Oct) and this is the first step. I found Preston to be a very talented and professional instructor. We covered the normal familiarisation, balancing turns, canyon flying, stalls and then focussed take offs, 3 pt and wheel landings. Oh, i didn't mean to suggest that canyon flying is all that 'normal'! But a lot of fun! A long way to go to perfection, but overall not too bad! Tomorrow. Gayle is doing a back country trip with Preston before we move onto recovery from possible nasty situations that might occur during the initial flight period.

And yes Jono, nice and warm here ..... thinking of you! Having a great Kitfox holiday! Back on the 20th.

cheers

Ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Ross,
    Looks like you are having a good time. Preston was my instructor at S&R 2 years ago or so. I had never had a pilot certificate so I was learning from scratch, but in a Kitfox SS7. When I did my maiden flight on my own Kitfox it felt exactly the same, a complete non-event thank goodness.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ross,

Preston is an Excellent Instructor. Im glad to see your having fun in Idaho, and getting in some Back Country flying. Fly safe, and tell Preston & Paul hello from Paul Zimmermann.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas