Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 56 of 87 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

That's all looking just great Ross! I wish I got things done as quickly as you seem to!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I've been watching your build, and I must say you are doing an excellent job.

Thumbs up to an excellent job!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Josh - yes, I find them great to deal with too- just had another exchange with Martin there and about to order. I was exploring the use of the Whirlwind 75"STOL blades with the 912is but although WW say it is fine, I am a bit reluctant to go to them as I cant find anyone who has real time experience with them on a 912is - plenty on a 914. The alternative is the WW70" or a WW 69Z - Martin at Airmaster suggests the 69Z is a broader prop and in between the other two with performance. Anyone with experience with the WW 69Z??

John - having looked at your work, I would definitely say there is a trade off between time and quality! You will notice I don't take too many close ups! You work is superb quality and I know you will be very proud of it when finished.

Paul - you really do deserve the thumbs up for being one of the most consistent 'encourages' and generous provider of info and opinion on this site. Appreciated.

Must away to do more - crappy weather approaching as we head towards winter here in OZ. Strong winds and snow predicted on the mountains.

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Prop decisions decisions.....

There is obviously no right, definitive answer to the question of the right prop - at least that is what I am learning. Others on this site are blessed with more analytical and logical minds than mine is. Nonetheless, it was time to decide!

I had a good phone chat across the ditch (apologies to Nth hemishpere friends, but OZ and NZ will understand) to Mart at Airmaster. It was all about the best combo of prop for the Airmaster AP332 system. The Whirlwind 75" stol prop is relatively new and, as far as we can work out, it is untried on the SS7/912is combination. Plenty use it on the 914 combo apparently. Whirling think it is a good match to the 912 and the 914. So, Martin talked me through the shapes of the props and how they work - as i was starting from a base of ignorance (not to put too finer point on it!), Martin stepped me through the type of props and the way the perform with the Airmaster system. End result? I am going with the 75" Whirlwind prop and expect an increase in STOL performance and a slight reduction in cruise - only time will tell! But decision is made! perhaps this is my 'experiemental' contribution to the the kitfox?

Apart from that I got the handbrake system installed - at least the unit as it fits under the console. Not a lot to show for the day apart from decision making.

cheers
    Ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

A cold day here - a good one to hibernate in the hanger. A fair bit of reading through the FWF manual to get an idea of job sequences before getting into a few little tasks. I don't like untreated alloy so I removed the low fuel warning tank and gave it a coat of primer. Cut the oil inspection door in the top fuselage, cut and trial fitted some of the instruments into the panel, fitted the battery and engine solenoids to the firewall and started to fit the trim switch and indicator to the panel.

Until the Airmaster and prop arrive it will be looking at many of the little jobs that can be done without them ...... and I am spoilt for choice!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Speaking of experience with Whirlwind, I have the 3 blade/ground adjustable RZ prop. They contacted me with information that they were sending a new improved style hub at no cost. So for me the bottom line is
    that they are ready to support the customer. I am getting excellent performance from the RZ prop with the 912iS I upgraded to iS sport

A day of a lot of small jobs and lot of thinking ... sound familiar? Anyway, I cut some holes in the panel, trial fitted the panel, fitted hinges and camlocs to the oil door, fitted some bits to the fire wall and the engine, decided to temp (rather than perm) fit the boot cowl, thought through the muffler choices I have, and started to fit the fresh air vents.

One thing I have learned is that, when in doubt, stop. And then consult this wise soles who inhabit this forum!

So, a few questions if I may ....

1. When fitting the boot cowl temporarily, how do you seal the fire wall from against the boot cowl so it can be removed?? Is there a compressible foam that is fire proof??

2. My 912is engine came with an exhaust system already fitted - and the FWL kit came with one too. the one fitted to the engine is slightly larger than the FWF supplied one - is the bottom cowl that critical that I will need to swap the exhaust?

3. the fresh air vents - I think I have lost the instructions for these - do they fit with the flange to the outside of the cowl or the inside??? I am inclined to fit them with flange to the outside.

thanks in advance..

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post

1. When fitting the boot cowl temporarily, how do you seal the fire wall from against the boot cowl so it can be removed?? Is there a compressible foam that is fire proof??
    I wanted to originally go with a removable boot cowl for ease of access to the panel. But after looking at all the options keeping fire safety in mind, I decided I would fix my boot cowl permanently and put my panel on a piano hinge for access.

The vent scoop flanges Hysol to the INSIDE of the cowl. Be careful and only cut out HALF the hole on the cowl, otherwise you won't have the efficient NACA duct configuration. It should look like a small version of the big air duct for the radiator that is on the bottom of the cowl.

I agree with Esser, a removable boot cowl is difficult to do with proper sealing for CO and for fire safety. I mounted mine permanently and made my panel with enough wire length so I can easily undo the 4 panel bottom bolts and rotate the panel out and down 90 degrees (no piano hinge on mine) for good access. See photos below. Your throttle and choke cables have to be mounted on a separate little sub-panel to do this.

Regarding your exhaust choices, call McBean and see what he recommends. It looks like the exhaust outlet stinger is quite different between the two.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Your instrument panel jig is a really good idea, looks like it would make the job much simpler, and if you wired it in that position you will have very good service loop for the wiring.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas