Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 53 of 87 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Thank you for the reply. I will add this to my list to order while at Airventure this year. I have been finishing an L-16A restoration this past year so my Fox is still at the starting line.

Ross getting the feel for some good old "Stick and Rudder" in the Mk IV.

20150405_153145.jpg

20150405_153134.jpg

Apologies, couldn't seem to rotate pictures on my phone

Photos rotated by Desertfox4---no charge

Thanks for a great weekend of flights Jono! I think the photos were just showing the angle of the steep turns ......

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Thanks for the rotation DF4 - this site is great value... other sites charge for rotation!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Talking about neat options like the elevator spring assist, here is a list of most of the options available for the SS7 that don't come with the standard kit. Those of you that are thinking about or in the build process need to be aware of these. I found that I ended up installing almost all of these options:

Quick build wings
    Pre-fab parts kit
    Powder coated frame & parts
    Laker leading edge
    Wingtips for lights
    Wingtip nav/strobe lights
    Landing light
    Wing strut fairings
    Gas cap fairings
    Butt rib closeouts
    Bottom false ribs
    Speedster tail
    Trim position indicator
    Elevator spring assist
    Static port kit
    Low fuel indicator
    Aluminum header tank
    !500# heavy duty gear
    Alaskan Bushwheel tailwheel upgrade
    Bigger main tires
    Adjustable rudder pedals
    Dual brakes
    Parking brake
    Bubble doors/tinted
    Tinted windshield
    Eyeball air vents w/NACA ducts
    Cabin heater
    Choke cable upgrade
    Remote oil pressure sender
    Oil thermostat
    LiFe battery upgrade
    Fuel bypass kit (for Rotax)
    Push-to-talk control stick grips
    Baggage compartment kit
    Seat/interior kit

I have probably missed some, and of course this does not include any avionics, engine or propeller. Some of the above you can make yourself or do without, but they are all offered by Kitfox and really make a nice finished product you will be proud of. And yes they do add quite a bit to the total cost but I think are well worth it. No I am not getting a sales commission from Kitfox, but I thought a list all in one place would be good to help new builders not forget to consider these items.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

G'day Jim,

That's an interesting post. I went through the list and tick off most of them. I agree with you that they add somewhat to the base kit but I think most of them are pretty useful. What I do find a little frustrating is that the catalogue does not give a clear explanation of the advantages of the options - a good example is the 'spring assist kit' - basically just a title in the catalogue. I understand that space is limited there. Therefore, it may be useful for the moderators here to consider creating a separate discussion section on 'Kit Options' where each of the options in your list could be explained and discussed. Just a thought.

Jono left for home today after spending Easter here in Mt Beauty. I have added a link here to his take off (and wing waggle). It's interesting to look at the second video link of his friends Bird Dog that took off immediately after him and note the relative take off performance as they pass the camera. Admittedly, Jono was probably performing for the camera!

cheers

ross

https://youtu.be/el-2OaOy-wM
    https://youtu.be/UDsUY1yx
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Default Panel ready to cut!

Today I marked out everything in the panel in prep for cutting. I am amazed how full the panel is after trying to keep it simple... anyway, I have been away in Brisbane for a few days work and yesterday the computer died! I would have loved to post a pic the layout of the panel to get feedback about things I may have forgotten but it will be a week until I get it back..

On a positive, we have a visit from another S7 builder and he is a LAME (Licenced Aircraft Mechanical Engineer in OZ speak). Of course have invited them to dinner tonight!!! Hope to have pics back soon.

Cheers

R
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Default Cut into panel!

today I bit the bullet cut into the panel...mama bit nervous about it but so far so good. Computer still on the blink so no photos today.

I want to paint the panel a matt dark grey but wondering about a hard wearing paint that will resist scuffs and not scratch or mark easily. any thought?

Also, I have looking at the door latches and thinking about ways to lock the cabin from the outside.mmhave any of you mounted latches - lockable or otherwise, to the bubble door set up??

Cheers

R
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

If you are adding any lettering to the panel, you will want some sort of matte clear coat afterward. That should protect against scuffing.

I just used a matt enamel (Rustoleum spray can) and a Brothers label making machine for the lettering. After about two years of flying I have found I hardly ever touch the panel paint so have not had any scratch problems. The labels seem to be on for good. Not sure if they will show up very good on these photos. Also I have an AutoCad drawing of the panel outside contour (and my own cutouts) for the SS7 that I have sent to several builders. If you can work with AutoCad the drawing is easily modified for your own cutouts and can then be sent to a laser cutting shop to cut out your complete panel with absolute accuracy. Cost me about $100 to get it laser cut-well worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS