Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 48 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Fuel tank caps

I assume that the fuel tank vents on the caps should face straight forward? What am I missing? It appears to me that there is no way for them to as the 'stop' lug in the tank will not allow for them to align straight forward. Is the only solution to get the vents realigned? Anyone else had this problem?
    cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Re: Oz build SS7

There's a 1 minute fix. Bend 'um! Mine were close but not straight. All it took was a little muscle. James Thomas

I had to bend mine too. Good luck Ross.

Really? With heat? Before trying that I think I will ask the factory why they are not straight in the first place if they are meant to be straight. Will post reply.

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Mine weren't strait ahead either (probably for years). I flew to the factory one day and John McBean noticed them. He walked over to my plane and with his two hands reached up and "adjusted" them. Worked just fine.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I think they're all out of alignment as received. Mine were also. I don't know why they don't adjust the process a little when they silver solder the tubes to the caps. Either that or adjust the "clocked" position of the filler necks when installed on the tanks. That being said, it's easy to "adjust" them. Just firmly grab the base of the cap, and with your other hand carefully twist/bend the tube until it's straight. The stainless steel tube seems to be a heavy enough wall thickness to make this work fine without any obvious distortion of the tube.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Well, I was once told that if someone calls you a horse, you should get a second opinion. If the second person calls you a horse, get a third opinion. if the third person calls you a horse, buy a saddle!

So, when three people told me to bend the fuel pitot, I got bending .... with results exactly as predicted by the wise advisors on this site! Must admit I was a little scared of cracking the pipe or join but need not have worried! Thanks guys! Before and after photo below!

cheers
    ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Ross, You might also want to try the Mercedes gas tank seals on your fuel caps. The part number and nomenclature is : Mercedes Seal Ring - part # 1404710079 from Autohaus. They work better than the original and don't seem to harden.

Dick B

Thanks for the advice Dick - will order and install.

Well, I must say that getting the rudder,HS and elevator installed was not my favourite task to date! But installed it is. More satisfying was to swage the rudder cables and then to sit in the cockpit and play with the pedals and elevator!! I know none of you have been that childish .... I was very mindful of the recent posts about the pedals sticking, however I am pleased to report they were all free. Gayle found the adjustable rudder pedals excellent also!

On to final paint for the flapperons now, and in between coats of paint, I am starting to look at the butt rib cuffs - by all reports another testing job!

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

I've been a bit slack lately with my posts so time - I didn't think that much of what we have been doing is very interesting to others!. Anyway, here's an update. Having got the rudder, HS and elevator back on the pane, we decided to do the little triangular windows, give the wings a polish and wax, paint the flaperons and all the associated little parts and then get the wings back on the pane. Progress is steady but satisfying. We used a Maquires polish and caruba wax as suggested in the polyfiber manual and used a soft auto buffer to give it a light polish and then applied the wax, followed by a light buff. Hopefully we will get the other wing back on today - a good job for a few extra pairs of hands!!

Also, having read a few posts on the usefulness of the butt rib cuffs when compared to the fiddly process of making and installing them, we having decided to go without. With the wing on and looking at where they would go, it appears that they wouldn't add much functionally. Any contrary opinions??

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ