Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 46 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Fabric paint finished

Well, we got al the fabric painting finished - just in time I think as it getting up to mid-high 30's now (c). Like always, if i was starting the paint job now with what I have learned, it would be better, but we are still very happy with the result. We are going to get some enamel matched to colour for the fibreglass and metal components as the polytone seems to be a bit unreliable on these materials.

Moved on to fitting the tail access covers today. having cut the panels and drilled the backing plates, I fitted the HS and checked for positioning of the covers to ensure free travel. It appears it is tight but full movement of the stabiliser occurs without touching the sides of the covers. Looks like a bit has to be trimmed off the rear of the cover at the vertical tail. is this what others have experienced? I am also thinking of trimming off a mm or 2 of the slots to make sure there is no contact at all - hove others had to do this also??

OK, well that is it for a couple of weeks - we are off to Langkawi to do a bit of sailing - I know, tough, but someone has to do it!

cheers and thanks again in advance for the advice.

Ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Torque values for landing gear

Forgot to say that I have emailed JB re the question so torque values re previous posts. Will let you all know what his response is.

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Beautiful job!

As far as the bolt torque:
    The bolt itself is limited to a maximum torque. If the gear exerts a force larger than the bolt rating, it will fail. That simply means the bolt was too small or the landing was too hard.

Since you can't torque the bolt past it's rated torque and you don't want to torque it less than it's rating, I think the answer is clear.

I would install the bolts in the direction that allows you to inspect the nut.

Ross,

Your paint job looks really great. Now you are ahead of me in that area.

I just did my tail access covers this week and yes the slots are a tight fit. I didn't trim the slots any more, but did my best to center the HS tube in the slot. I did cut about 2 cm off the back and 1 cm off the bottom edges of the panels.

I didn't like how the panel installed with the HS in place. It seems like it is going to scratch or cut the fabric. Due to that I decided to cut the rear off and made it a separate piece that you screw to the rest. This way I can install the front piece first and just have to get one slot to go past the vertical & horizontal stab. Then I can put the other piece in from the back.

I shot the epoxy primer on them Thursday and might be able to do the Aerothane today.
    Last edited by PapuaPilot; 11-29-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    I just did my tail access covers this week and yes the slots are a tight fit.

I didn't like how the panel installed with the HS in place. It seems like it is going to scratch or cut the fabric. Due to that I decided to cut the rear off and made it a separate piece that you screw to the rest. This way I can install the front piece first and just have to get one slot to go past the vertical & horizontal stab. Then I can put the other piece in from the back.
    The Factory builds the SLSAs with the back piece of the tail access cover removable as well. The first couple of times trying to remove the front piece is rather difficult. It has gotten easier after having done it a couple of times.

Your paint looks awesome. I have love the Yellow, ever since I've seen it on Paul leadabrand's plane in Homedale Idaho. I find it hard to believe you have gotten so far with your project in such a short time. Now that it really looks like an airplane it should help with the motivation factor of building an airplane.

Also, the factory installs the landing gear bolts with the nuts on the top. I had my plane converted to a Tail Dragger after Oshkosh. John recommended I check the torque for all of the attachments bolts when I got back to Mesquite, Tejas. Why he installs them that way is a mystery to me, but they work.

Looks great, keep up the good work. I really enjoy watching your build.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 11-29-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added comment.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

That is looking really good Ross. You have inspired me to started on my fox project, might pull it out this weekend. Tom

Hi tom,

Yeah, getting there. Still waiting for you to deliver me that perfect engine! Up in Langkawi at the moment sailing for a while . Hope to catch up in new yeat. Regard the Marcia and kids.

R
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Default Bolt Torque

Hi all,

Back again from a great few weeks sailing up in Langkawi. Back into the build but Christmas distractions are setting in!

You might recall a recent discussion re bolt torque values for the main gear. Here is the reply from JMc re the values and why they are not on the page - good info generally to using the manual.

Standard torque values are listed in the Builder Tips section.. Usually if there is an “other” than standard torque it would be listed in the diagram.. Generally speaking.. if a torque value is not shown the “standard” torque value applies. Torque values should not be shown unless it is other than a standard toque value. We have area in the manual that show values.. and for the most part these are reminders that torque values apply.

Now the making the rear cover panels.

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Default My old building mate passes away

Forgive me for a little off topic indulgence. For those of you who have been following my posts, you will have seen the occasional reference to Noel. well, Noel passed away last night - on the occasion of his 103rd Birthday!!!! I was with him and his young bride Audrey of 92yo. It was a great privilege to have Noel follow our S7 build and he enjoyed ever chance he had to come and spend time in the hanger, always interested in the latest part of the build and the materials and processes being used. It was a good example of how a Kitfox build can bring joy to people in many ways! We will miss you Noel.

cheers
    ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your good friend. I'm sure your build brought him much joy. Ken