Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 34 of 87 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

My Model IV just has a slit with an extra layer of polyfiber to prevent tearing. I own a 3D printer and wondered about the possibility of printing some kind of trim piece to dress it up. I have too much on my plate at the moment to venture it myself but would be happy to print something for anyone handy with 3D modeling...

I have these from Aircraft Spruce: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...clickkey=17475

They are less than $5 for the pair. I ended up cutting about half of them off because they were too long and tall. I am about at the same stage as you and will be glueing them on very soon.

They are a good width, but not extra wide. Due to that make sure you line them up with the rudder cables. I pulled the cables through the exit fairleads to the rudder horns and drew a line on the fabric so that they can be glued on correctly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PapuaPilot; 09-08-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I'll get a photo of my plane and it will show how it's done at the Kitfox factory.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks Guys! Appreciate all the info. Look forward to the photo too Paul.

Day out for business stuff today to no real progress, however I did purchase a blower for the paint booth so that should make the conditions in there a bit more pleasant! I also chatted to a Technical Counsellor from the SAAA (Sports Aircraft Association of Australia) and arranged a visit and inspection in a few weeks. We are pleased about that as it has been some time since we had critical eyes look at our work.

cheers

ross
    Mt Beauty
    Oz

Here is a photo of what the rudder cables look like. Looks like there is no special faring just a tape doubler.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

It doesn't look bad.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hi Paul,
    I just came home for lunch and saw the pics - thanks very much. I like how neat that is. will try it this afternoon and post my efforts tonight!

cheers

ross

I think it looks really clean. That is why I posted the second photo. John, Judd, and Brandon do one devil of a nice job building the SLSAs.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

On my plane I used the fairing and here is a picture of how I finished out so as to insure there was no wear on the fabric.

Well, this afternoon I finished the second side covering and fiddled with the rudder cable exit. It is not as nest as the factory job but I think it should be ok. In retrospect I should have left more length on the cable tube to provide more of a lead for the cable out through the fabric. But I think it will be a relatively easy job to fit the fairing if I need to later.

i also fitted the static port vents. I got the Avery kit and made baking plates to which the ports are riveted and then the plate is glued to the inside of the fabric.

Now for covering the top! I have read the posts here and have learnt a lot - it appears to be a bit tricky but I guess we will get a result with a bit of trial and error!

thanks for the help again guys.

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ