Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 33 of 87 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Ross,
    Looking good... if MGL's AHRS and Magnatometer are in the same unit.. it will be difficult to get a good location.. I would suggest trying the wing tip. We have had good luck with that in the previous versions of the Advanced Flight Systems units.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Hello Ross,

Here is a picture of the plate that I mounted my AHRS(Advanced Flight Systems) unit on. The wing is upside down and kind of hard to see, but the plate is mounted in the outboard bay of the left wing. I used rivits and hysol to mount the plate to the tubing. Prior to installing the plate I tapped the plate for the brass mounting screws. The AHRS on my EFIS has been working great for the first 140 hours!

DSC_0049.jpg

Scott

Default Re: the installation of the MGL AHRS and Compass

Thanks for the suggestions John and Scott. For those considering an MGL installation, I have posted below a photo of the 2 MGL units followed by my mounting solutions that I cam up with after talking with the MGL Boss. The compass is outboard in the wing. I kept it away from the wingtip wiring and used aluminium angle, bonded and brass screwed to ribs. the box that is sits in is of varnished balsa wood. The compass on a vibration absorbing mat and is help in place by heavy duty velcro straps. I took Tom Waid's pics as a starting point. AHRS is located in the forward part of the luggage hold. I have inclined it to be level in level flight. This is a close to the preferred MGL position as possible. They say that vibration is the worst enemy of the AHRS so it is on a thicker vibration absorbing pad. I plan to cover it with an aluminium box to protect it from luggage. I understand that most of the avionics manufacturers have specific requirements for their gear so it is important to research that despite there being many common install requirements between the brands.
    cheers
    Ross
    Mr Beauty
    OZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default fuselage covering and the spray booth!

Great to have Gayle working on the covering! She is much better at detail than me and it also allows me to progress other things. Today Gayle finished covering one side and I worked on constructing a spray booth. Fun to be back into it all again!

ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

Looking Sharp Ross.

Default First of the Poly Spray

Having built the spray booth I was keen to use it! So, as Gayle continued with covering the second side of the fuselage, I took the tail feathers into my new plastic cave and took to them with Poly spray - I haven't got an exhaust system in there as yet so when I went in 30 mins later it was still fairly foggy - off to the buy a blower and vent system tomorrow! I decided to bring them out in the fresh air to assist the escape of the fumes overnight and will give them a second coat on Wednesday.

cheers

ross
    Mt Beauty
    Oz

Default Exit of the rudder cables

We are covering the sides of the fuselage at the moment and wondering what solutions you guys have used to make the exit of the rudder cables neat - I think I have seen some photos of faired mouldings? are these a Kitfox item or custom jobs?? Any tips appreciated as always.

cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    Oz

I have two little plastic fairring for that in my kit ...i think it is from kitfox

It is like that...

http://spenceraircraft.com/poly-fibe...e-fairing.html

Really? I will have to look through my boxes again for that! thanks JF. but I cant remember seeing anything like that,

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

kitfox has the plastic rudder exit pieces in their parts catalog. they work, but i feel they're a little too large.