Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 23 of 87 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Hi Greg and Rob,

Thanks for the further advice from both of you. In retrospect, I can't believe I was not thinking this through a bit more! Nonetheless, it is once again an indication of the value of this forum. I guess I was putting off the avionics decisions as long as possible given the rate at which avionics are evolving. Anyway, thanks again.

Rob - regarding the hanger set up here. Mt Beauty airfield is run by a management committee - local users - we do the maintenance and they provide any capital improvements. There is an official lease from the council - 10 plus 5 I think. About $700 a year. The hanger is 15m x 12m with internal folding doors and built by an excellent local steel fabricator - much stronger than any of the kit sheds. it cost about $55k.

Let me know if you want further info.

cheers

ross

Oz

What great fun to follow your progress and thought processes bought up by members of the forum. I am learning a lot. Underway here in Reno, Nv and absolutely enjoying the adventure. Just about ready to cover wings. It's kind of like reading a good book, I think I'll read just one more chapter and the next thing I know the door opens and a voice says "are you coming to bed or not?"
    Best regards,
    Stan

Thanks for the info , Ross.

Default Covering started, but ..........

After a nice few days walking the Bogong High Plains and camping it was time to get back into it! So after good advice from a few fellow builders i installed the aluminium tube stiffeners in the trailing edge of the wings, applied a couple of coats of Poly brush to the tanks and LLE's, Poly tak'd the cap strips, calibrated the irons and rolled out the cloth on the first wing. This was all fairly uneventful until it was time to tac the cloth onto the leading edge. Whilst not a disaster, I think we can do better! I think we have learnt 2 things. First, probably better to use the poly tac in the morning when cooler - it went off pretty quick (just as the manual says!) in 30 plus temps (c). Secondly, we have a healthy overlap on the leading edge and I think we should not be trying to glue it all - rather just a two inch strip each side of centre spar??

Anyway, as I say we will try in the cool of the morning and also, we a have a fly in happing here tomorrow and there a few builders with covering experience so I guess I will be busy sifting the wise advice from other types of advice ...

However, some wise advice would e welcome from all here! I have posted a few pics of the short leading edge section we attempted today for comment and thoughts. I guess the poly tac just wasn't gushing through the fabric and we were struggling to get a neat and even finish! Advice welcome friends!

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images

and of course, it is important not to become tooo obsessive about building kitfox's and remember to retain the balance in life ...apparently ....

The wrinkles in fabric will all come out with the application of heat from the iron. Just take your time ironing and don't linger in one place, the Poly Fiber manual says it all and it works. Lovely place you live in, always wanted to visit.

Dick B

having been frustrated over the quality of my work on the leading edge fabric application, I look back at the following: 1. I finally purchased a laser
    thermometer and an iron with a black Teflon coating on the bottom (laser
    will not register properly off highly reflective surfaces). Every 2-3 minutes check the iron temp while ironing 2. the instructor at the EAA fabric workshop I attended stressed the consistency of the Polytac as similar to
    maple syrup???? I applied it too thick at times and spent a lot of time ironing out polytac lumps later. I have recently completed the FAA mandated Phase 1 flight testing of my SS7 super sport with Rotax 912iS
    and now enjoying a nice flying aircraft.

Default Rubbish start to covering!!

Well, we started again on the wing covering this morning early when it was cooler. We did the whole of leading edge and whilst we got better at it, the result was not really very good! We also had a fly in today from some local flying clubs - a fair few builders amongst them so that was useful to have some people look and comment. Anyway, despite assurances that the MEK and ironing will make the leading edge ok, we decided to remove it all and start again. We just put it down to learning to use the material and 'approximations' are a part of the learning process!

Thanks for you comments Neville and Dick - I reckon we will learn use these materials with practice!

Tomorrow we will try again, but for now, I need a beer ....

cheers

ross

Back from work, sickness, caring for elderly parent and visitors!!!! Ahhhh, the peacefulness of the hanger! So, last post confessed to a less than perfect start to covering. In fact, I know realise there are a lot of other little jobs to be completed before covering! Like deciding on efis, wiring for lights, reinforcing seat bases, radio selection and antennae install, deciding on transponder set up etc.. while the manual is good, it had me painting by numbers there for a while and not thinking ahead. So, everything is apart and I am in the process do attending to txt he small, but important jobs. I have looked through this site and read all the posts on ahrs positioning. I am looking at a spot behind the baggage compartment. A couple of questions:

1. What are the little welded attach points in the photo? Are they an option to extend the luggage compartment? I am thinking they would be a perfect spot for an Ahrs shelf?

2. I am not an electronics boffin so wondering if I was to install a ground plane under the radio aerial would it interfere at all with the ahrs??? Or should I move the ahrs towards the rear?

All suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Ross

Ross,
    The tabs are to support an extended baggage area.
    Locating the AHRS down there will put it not only close to the steel structure itself, but also close to the moving steel elevator push rod. Not recommended situation per Dynon literature. I think that is why the SLSA Kitfoxes, that use Dynon, position the AHRS up higher. That is what I plan to do as well since it seems to be magnetically "quiet".
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon