Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 13 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Hey Chuck, nice Q! Josh is right about the Aussie and OZ connection. I think it is people from NZ and POMS that mainly use it. And nice reply Matty! We were down your way Sunday but was impromptu and short notice so didn't bother you - looking forward to seeing you up here to cast your eyes over the build.- it was busy at Tyabb).

Back to the Jury Struts ..... So JF, you used the structural adhesive and it didn't hold? Sounds like that may be a clue to the forces at work on this strut and why they don't specifically say to bond it? I am still interested in the why others are referring in posts to using tap under the clamp though. Is it just to prevent rubbing and corrosion or is there another reason?

Off to the hanger before the sun makes it impossible! Finish the varnishing and start the fuel tanks .... then retreat to the air con! (swap some snow for sun Josh!?)
    Cheers

ross

Quote Originally Posted by Jfquebec View Post
    For the jury strut...me i glue it with sructural adhesive...and when i remove the jury strut all the clamps opened...

So.....

Jf

Classic 4 1200 building
    For some reason I had a spool of Kevlar thread laying around. After I fitted the jury struts, I wrapped the jury strut clamp with a few wraps of the thread then saturated it with some epoxy resin. It resulted in a small and unobtrusive way to secure the clamps for the next steps like fairing fitting, etc.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Default Re: Oz build SS7 - the ribs

I hope your Senior Advisor Noel has reserved the passenger seat ride, for his well earned support, once you finish the project.

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys - yes, the fridge is well used! summer is starting and we have bad bush fires all around Sydney at the moment.

Now the ribs. first go at working with the Hysol although we have built a 40ft yacht before and have had a bit of experience at handling expoxy etc. We use a lot of marking tape! The syringes are useful but have read a lot of comments of peoples improvisations and will try a few. We found the ribs to need a bit of trimming and the little bandsaw was great for that. You will also see in one of the photos that we have elderly advisor - that is our friend Noel who is about to turn 102 yo!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

My jury strut clamps were slightly loose on the lift struts. Made a thin bushing to go under the clamps, and when assembled the clamps are tight on the lift strut. No problems or wear so far.

Dick B

Quote Originally Posted by Jfquebec View Post
    For the jury strut...me i glue it with sructural adhesive...and when i remove the jury strut all the clamps opened...

So.....

Jf

Classic 4 1200 building

I did the same thing. Put some Hysol/micro between the clamp and strut. Came back the next day and took the bolt out and ping, the clamp popped loose. So then I did them again, but made sure I had some hysol around the outside and around the tabs and that worked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

Good...i do the same...thank's for pic

Sorry...i re try...

I will do the same...i think that's better...i try to use the correct word...

Aussie's love their short forms. Never been invited to a barbie?

Default Re: tanks in... after some effort to clean them!

Despite the temp hitting 45 c this week, we have achieved a bit of progress in the mornings early before it gets too hot. Armed with 16l of acetone and a fine paint strainer I embarked on the 3 rinses recommended. Well after 15 rinses, I was still getting what I call 'dead skin'. See the photo below. I decided to give it away for the day and check with John McBean. After a number of emails and photos and back an forth he recommended to keep rinsing but with regular gasoline. I must admit, before doing that I decided to give them a good sloshing with water and soapy water and then rinse them with heaps of fresh water. Then when I tried the gasoline rinse, I only got a few little pieces of 'dead skin' so went on to rinsing with gasoline until I got 3 clean rinses in a row. decided to prep the tanks for installation and leave them over night to dry out. This morning I tested them once more with acetone and CLEAR!!!! Yes!

I reckon it took me about 23-25 rinses per tank to get them clean. John thinks the 'dead skin' is excess cab-o-sil, a bonding agent. In any case, I will still be installing visible filters in the fuel line and checking regularly.

Also, perhaps if I did this again I would start with a good water and soap rinse, followed by gasoline and finish off with acetone - the more aggressive one of the three ....and the most expensive!

Default Re: tank fitting

So it was on to the install of the tanks. This went pretty smoothly with the tanks aligning closely to the level of the cap strips on 1 and 3 rib.
    soHowever, I did have rather wide gaps between the tank and the capstrips where the manual calls for structural adhesive. The gaps were from 5mm to 10mm. I measured the distances between the ribs ( centre to centre) and they were spot on the book measurement. Anyway, I had to put some support under the gaps or the hysol would have fell through the gap! I found offcuts of the perspex from the doors to be good for this. Cut them to length and super glued them up from underneath and the job worked out well. Next job is the sight gauges.

Question: Is white the best colour to sight the fuel level against in the tube?

cheers

ross