Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 12 of 87 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

I remember traveling with the Army Band to Brisbane in 1988. There's a reason Australia is called "Oz". The trees are different. The animals are different. It's truly a wondrous place.

Default Kitfox builder

I had a photographer swing by the hanger yesterday with a giant Nikon camera and wanted some photos. So, I donned by Kitfox cap and the model in me just came naturally! New career maybe?!
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice place you have to work
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Hi Chuck, pretty lucky. And its only 3 mins walk from home. I think you might also have a nice setup?!

Yesterday we finished rigging the jury struts, bonded in the false ribs and pulled out the fuel tanks. Today will be a varnishing day I think.

A question re the jury strut clamps. Am I right is reading that they just clamp onto the support struts - not bonded on? I have read a few posts about the use of some type of tape under these clamps. Is that to resist slip or to provide a protective coating between the metal surfaces. I assume they might work a little under pressure and be a site for potential corrosion??

Photos tonight!

cheers

ross

OK, a few photos of the jury struts - I am still interested in responses re jury struts below please?

we got stuck into the 3 BLOODY COATS of varnish! I laughed when I read back at posts of others regarding this job - I guess it a 'right of passage' job that one!
    Ran out of varnish - a bit too extravagant I think ( and wasteful until we learned to mix the appropriate amount.) So, we decided on a trip to Melbourne and have a night out into the bargain - had a great trip down through the Yarra Valley Vineyards and the beautiful Mornington Peninsular which included a beach stop for Gayle - she misses the ocean! We had a great seafood dinner too so I hope buys enough credit to at least finish the varnishing! Met witht he Polyfibre distributor and had a good chat. We have booked into a Polyfibre covering workshop at Natfly in Easter which should be pretty good timing for our project we think!

so, the forecast was to be hot today so we hit the varnishing at 0530 - only half a coat to go in the morning - had to knock off because it got a bit too worm to work in the hanger - see the photo below (top right corner). Now I reckon that Josh and some of you guys might be having about -20 over there by the looks of it - so that would mean that us Kitfox builders are building in variations of about 60 degrees celcius (140F)!!!!

Crazy world!

cheers

ross

For the jury strut...me i glue it with sructural adhesive...and when i remove the jury strut all the clamps opened...

So.....

Jf

Classic 4 1200 building

a lot off subject but I have to ask . why is Australia called Oz . my four year high school senior trip didn't take me that far south in that part of the world so I know nothing about it
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Short for Aussie isn't it?

Shortening names is a required part of being an Aussie, and it doesn't actually have to make sense,,,,warren ,wazza, Darren or Daryl ,Dazza .barry ,bazza. Infact using someone's actual name is rare, and if their name can't be shorten inappropriatly we can use ,mate, bud, knackers ,old mate, shorty, fella (with either black or white preceding as needed) ,digger, bloke ,etc, no one really knows why ,but it's rampant throughout our society
    Matty (Mathew )