Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: I bought a "barn find" model IV

Default I bought a "barn find" model IV

Besides sending the Rotax 2 stroke out for O/H, what else should I take a second look at? Not much in the way of inspection plates in the fabric that I can see. But the covering does look and feel good and I see no other issues that I wouldn't expect so see after sitting for so long. I'm new to the Kitfox, but what I've seen so far looks pretty darn good. I need to know if there are any of those "special" spots that need to be inspected before I hand over a check.
    Thanks,
    Jay
    Last edited by beeryboats; 10-07-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Default Re: I bought a "barn find" model IV

Welcome to the site beeryboats,..I'd check all the rubber products/parts panel mounts,..tires for cracks ..if the landing gear has the rubber tubes on the legs up under where the bungee's wrap,..check the the bungee's..then all moving parts,..lube if necessary,..cables,.. tail wheel..see if the break away is functioning..brake pads see if they are good,.grease the wheel bearings,..fuel tanks for any debris/gel..fuel lines to see if they are brittle..fuel valves ,,disconnect pitot tube at ASI and blow out the line,.. look for any signs of critters getting into any part of the tail or wings,.

I'd also pull the seat and check the aileron control linkages,. if they move with a little stiffness I'd spray them with a light oil and then check for slop once they move feely

Hey Jay, welcome to the forum! I'd inspect the wing tanks carefully for any leaks. Look inside to see if there's loose Kreem floating around. What you're looking for is damage to the fiberglass or internal coatings due to ethanol.

Most things other than the engine and structure are easily fixed, but replacing wing tanks is time consuming and expensive.

BTW, what happened with the California Avid you were getting delivered?
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Hey Jay, welcome to the forum! I'd inspect the wing tanks carefully for any leaks. Look inside to see if there's loose Kreem floating around. What you're looking for is damage to the fiberglass or internal coatings due to ethanol.

Most things other than the engine and structure are easily fixed, but replacing wing tanks is time consuming and expensive.

BTW, what happened with the California Avid you were getting delivered?

I fuel line leak caused some damage to passenger door glass, easy fix. CA guy was a nut. He would not pay for the condition inspection or the AD fixes needed for the Jabiru engine. I found another Avid with the same problem, engine AD's and the owner wouldn't fix them. Must be very expensive! All I could find were auto engines or Jabirus with these AD's. I jumped on this Kitfox.

Thanks guys. I already planned on changing everything rubber. No brainer really. But I didn't think about the gauges and lines. Good point. It has spring gear, no bungees,a good thing I guess. He said the brakes are crap, so that needs attention anyway. Although too much brake can get you in trouble too. What I may have a problem with is that the engine turns the wrong direction! I'll probably be stomping on the wrong rudder pedal on take off!

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    Thanks guys. I already planned on changing everything rubber. No brainer really. But I didn't think about the gauges and lines. Good point. It has spring gear, no bungees,a good thing I guess. He said the brakes are crap, so that needs attention anyway. Although too much brake can get you in trouble too. What I may have a problem with is that the engine turns the wrong direction! I'll probably be stomping on the wrong rudder pedal on take off!
    Takeoff happens so fast you won't even notice it. 5 second takeoff rolls are not unrealistic at all especially with a little wind.