Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Landing Gear

Default Spring Landing Gear

Spring gear questions:

On a technical matter, the Kitfox Model 5 Vixen I just bought is equipped with what I believe is a Grove main gear (on this tricycle gear only version). Upon closer inspection I discovered the main single leaf gear has somehow moved all the way to one side of the mounting blocks. I know the current model Kitfox has 2 pins inserted on the inside of each horizontal piece of the gear to keep the gear centered and prevent any shifting sideways (4 pins altogether).

I have loosened the mounting block bolts, moved and centered the gear (visually) followed by tightening the block bolts. In looking in the area where the pins should be there do not appear to be any holes for such pins.

Is this setup safe for operation as it is now, and if not, is there a way to either have the stop pins installed on this gear or is there another acceptable method to prevent the gear leaf from shifting sideways?

Thanks much,

Skot

Default Re: Spring Landing Gear

Skot,
    My Grove gear does not have the pin holes. When the attach side bars are tightened properly I have never had a problem with side movement (slippage) of the main gear.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

My gear has roll pins on each side just inboard of the gear mounts.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

My gear has roll pins on each side just inboard of the gear mounts.
    My model 4 also has these pins.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The older gear springs do not have the roll pins. The newer springs do.

When speaking with Grove about retrofitting an older spring, they suggested that these (1/4" x 1" ?) be installed by drilling the spring and pressing in locally sourced pins.

If your gear is slipping again after this readjustment, this may be something you would want to do.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

In communicating with a young lady at Grove, she came up with the conclusion my gear was made by Hammerhead. She said all Grove gear has the pins. At any rate, my intent is to get my hands on a set of roll pins, drill the holes and put them in.

Skot

After jacking up fuselage, loosening the gear blocks, centering the gear and tightening the blocks, I went for a ride. As before, the gear spring again shifted sideways.

My intent is to install the roll pins. My question is: Should I remove the gear and take it to a machine shop for drilling & install of the roll pins or can I use a hand drill to make the holes for the roll pins? I want to do it right. Any opinions?

Thanks much, Skot

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    The older gear springs do not have the roll pins. The newer springs do.

When speaking with Grove about retrofitting an older spring, they suggested that these (1/4" x 1" ?) be installed by drilling the spring and pressing in locally sourced pins.

If your gear is slipping again after this readjustment, this may be something you would want to do.

If you have the gun drilled lines for your brakes, do it on the opposite side of the fittings for brake lines

At a minimum, I would support the gear in a drill vise and carefully mark and drill the holes that way. Start with a smaller pilot drill and work your way up. Don't do it by hand.

Having said that, I can also say that sometimes despite all my efforts a drill will still sometimes wander off center. Even a pilot hole may not be enough if the drill finds some "grain" in the metal. When I drilled the gear legs for my BD-4 I made a jig out of steel and then used the jig to drill the holes. Even then the holes needed some light reaming to get all four bolts through.

If you have any doubts, let a good shop do it.

FWIW,

Mark Napier
    Building a KF IV Classic

I had thought about drilling into the gun drilled channel by mistake, but I notice that all the new gear (looked at several at Oshkosh) and found they have roll pins on both sides (front and back) of each side of the flat gear. So...I assume the drilled hole is not near the brake line hole, just how far away?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    If you have the gun drilled lines for your brakes, do it on the opposite side of the fittings for brake lines