Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Esser's Build

Default Re: Esser's Build

[QUOTE=Esser;31164]So I put too much so I had to sand a lot but i still managed to get low spots, must have been air pockets or something.

When using filler in small quantities, I usually spread it with a single edge razor blade. Actually it is a blade held in a window paint scraper handle. It usually takes a couple of applications - or more if the finish will be paint, but it minimizes the sanding part.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

So I rigged the wings today. After triple checking the measurements, something still went wrong. I think it may have happened when I filed the hole in the spar to just shy of 5/16. I may have favoured one side. Either way my measurements to the tail are 1/8th of each other instead of the same as they were when I marked them out and my string line ended up being 3/8"s farther out then when I laid everything out which is probably .25 of a degree or less. I don't know what happened. But I need some advice. So my 120" to tail measurements are within 1/8th of each other and I now have a slight forward wing sweep. Is this acceptable? Or do I need to go down a road of repair and start over again. I have attached some pictures for you to see.

Leveled is side to side and then adjusted the jack on the back for front to back.

One wing on

My fish mouth had weld on it that interfered with the assembly. Of course the wing was on before I noticed. So I had to file out a bit of the interfering weld.

Both wings on.

The slight sweep forward after the first hole has been drilled.

Another angle.

Full Garage. This house is just temporary til the house we bought closes.

So what is everyone's opinion about these wings?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 12:17 PM.

if you sweep the wings forward for a heavier engine the string measurement is 2+". Your measurement is much smaller than that. You mentioned you were planing on using a ULPower engine. The weight of the engine if you go with the 6 cyl may require a forward sweep. Check with John.

IPA- Isopropyl Alcohol
    As far as the measurement is concerned I would speak to Kitfox as I am
    sure they will have experience of this? Is the measurement the same for both wings or just one side? I remember this task being a nerv racking experience but an 1/8 of an inch is not much compared to the total length that you are measuring that said I know we all strive to be as accurate as possible.
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Hello fellow Kitfox enthusiasts. Been awhile since I posted I know. I thought I would build more in the hot months but summer activities beckon. The last couple weekends I have been between BC, Ontario, and Alberta but it is all good because of the people I have been spending it with. A few weeks ago I actually went up flying in Edmonton for the first time since I've been here. It was a nice flight.

Onto the build:

I left off saying there was a problem with my sweep. I talked to John at Kitfox and he said the situation is definitely not ideal, but you can file out the hole where it needs to be and when you put the steel reenforcing plates on you fill the area where the bolt wont go with epoxy. As long as your steel plates are a perfect fit you won't have issues as these take the load. SO. If anyone runs into what I did, you have a little hope. But quadruple check instead of triple check before you drill. I had figured out what caused this for me. I forgot to put on the number one rib and bungee it tight so there was almost an inch of play. That is why I drilled in the wrong place. I also assumed that I was to drill direct top of the spar and this was not true either.

Moving on here are some pictures

My one tank had this bad corrosion. It is almost sticky and I can't get it off easily. Any thoughts?

The other one for comparison

Needed to move the spar attach just a little bit without going too far. This strap worked perfectly.

Starting to look like something. At one point the neighbour walked over and asked if that was an airplane. I had to bite my tongue when I wanted to tell him , No, It's a time machine.

Bought some more clecos for the spar attach fittings.

After I rigged up the washout and the dihedral, the spar attach was no longer on centre line. What ever makes it fly good. I was going to drill both of the rivets in the centre on the line that the other rivets are on but I realized after I drilled the first one to the side that if I did that with the other one, the rivet puller would not fit.

That's All Folks!
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 12:23 PM.

I Josh...good job ...but.....just for make sure,i my builder book,he said " do not drill " this two holes in center of lift strut bracket...it is just for centering to I beam in the spar....i hope you dont drill through the web of the I beam.......maybe im wrong...but in my book it write in 3 place " do not drill"....

Jf

Hey JF Thanks for your concern. The place where they tell you not to drill into the centre is the REAR spar attach fitting. The FRONT one which the picture is taken of, is clocked 15 degrees or so towards the rear spar. So if you look closely at my picture, there are two lines drawn. The second line to the furthest right is actually the centre of the spar. So those two holes are not drilled into the webbing. However, you are entirely correct about drilling the holes in the centre on the REAR bracket. That will go right into the webbing of the spar.
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 12:24 PM.

good.......i feel better..

And 4 hours on a Saturday later: (Warning - It's messy.) This could go WAY faster if you had someone dedicated to pulling out clecos while you rivet.
    Last edited by Esser; 04-08-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Good ....it.s coming...