Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crabbing or one wing low, for kitfox, which is best?

Default Crabbing or one wing low, for kitfox, which is best?

Howdy all;
    We have a lot of runways around here, and my flight instructor only tought the wing low landing technique. If the cross wind was too high, we just land at another airport. But I understand another methode is to just rudder into the wind and land in a crab, but this is mainly done in very high cross wind conditions, I think. Which is best for the kitfox, or how much cross wind can a, for example model 4, take before the wing low methode should be replaced by crabbing into the wind?

Thanks in advance.
    Roger

Default Re: Crabbing or one wing low, for kitfox, which is best?

I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER land in a crab. I don't think that there isa NORMAL crosswind landing, but the way it normally works out for me is that I make sure that I have enough rudder to maintain the nose pointing straight down the runway while staying on the centerline.

I will usually come down final in a crab, staying on the extended centerline until I'm 10 feet or so AGL. At that point, I kick it around so that the nose is lined up with the runway, holding it there with the rudder. With the nose as straight as I can posibily keep it, and the upwind wing low, I touch down on the upwind wheel and hold that wing low attitude as long as needed to stay on the centerline (or as close as I can). When the othere tire decides to come down, it's down.

I don't think that a Kitfox can ever be landed in a crab without tearing off the landing gear, or at least bending something.

ALWAYS keep the nose pointing down the runway as you touch down.

I fly a model 3 taildrager, but I'm sure that it applies to planes with a nose wheel also.

Sorry, let me revise my question a little. I really meant which is better, approach in a crab (and strengthen out just before landing), or fly wing-down all the way to the ground (keeping the nose straight with the rudder), and touch down with 1 wheel. That's my real question.

oh but yes yes yes you can crab. in fact if you crab into the wind, lets say 25mph direct cross, you stand a chance of flying your airplane again. I've landed that way and continued into the taxi way off the runway.

I remember one time I was flying with a cross of 25 and nobody was flying, I was, In fact I was doing touch and goes. there was a group of people watching. I was coming in for the sod and pointing into the wind the whole way, after touchdown I took back off pointing into the wind and turned and went down the runway after take off. With winds like that you can touch down and roll to the other side of the runway and stop no problem. what you do after that is another story.

My thoughts, it all depends on the winds and turbulance if I use the crab or wing low. if the rudder doesn't work any more, than it's a dah! crab time.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Steve, if you are saying that you land diaginally across the runway, I agree. In fact that is a very good way to minimize the effects of a crosswind, but my point is that if you touch down in a crab, putting large side loads on the gear, it won't last long.

Land at an angle to the centerline if you like, but keep nose pointing the direction you are traveling.

Louie

I have crabbed and rotated on landing with no ill affects. Must be the tube gear that has that problem.

land wing down hummm..., have to admit, I mostly land wings level even with a good cross. the only time I land with wing real low is when I want to do a weelie. generally followed by a land on the two and than lift it for the other side. So I guess it is just what feels right at the time, can't say which is best, just land the plane, how about that one.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 03-29-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Must be, but I'll just keep trying to keep the wheels rolling the same direction the plane is going.

Louie

I think the best thing to do is go out and do nothing but touch and go's and try to do it when the winds are blowing, than and only than can you figure what YOU are comfortable with.

I generally do the three point when things get hairy. I shoot for the full stall landing. that's about 3 feet off and let it stall and land, could be wing low don't know, I don't pay attention I just fly the airplane, I don't concern myself with those things, just do it, is my saying.

Have fun and fly safe.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Roger,

Let me focus on your question - either way can be done 1) Crab down final and go to wing low at a reasonable point before touchdown (reasonable depends on personal preference) 2) Go wing low all the way to touchdown.

I think a person can argue either option. The one I find preferable - for the reasons which occur to me is to do the crab thing throughout the pattern and switch to wing low on short final (obviously early enough to get organized for touchdown) a) crab provides full lift from the wing while a wing low destroys a bit of the lift (wing low is a slip into the wind) b) flying a crab to short final gives a person a pretty good idea of the cross wind change as you descend in a crab - always seems the wind changes as you descend anyway c) flying a crab and minimizing time in a wing low tends to provoke fewer questions from the other seat.

Bottom line - both are correct and neither are wrong. The best pilots mix it up and do either at any particular time for no particular reason.

Cheers,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear

Thanks guys for all the info and insight.
    It does seem to me that in a STRONG crosswind, holding wing low all the way to the ground, you have to land faster becuse your wing are not-so level AND also you will run out of rudder at some point (to hold the noise streight) o wing lowness (and maybe drag your wing on the ground. Therefore, logically, (with a monty python accent) I should use wing low landings (as that is what I have been trained to do mostly) BUT crabbing would be a better choice in really strong cross winds (for me anyhow).

Thanks again !!!!
    Roger