Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One wheels, E-Scooters, collapsible bikes, etc.

Default One wheels, E-Scooters, collapsible bikes, etc.

In my fledging aviation endeavour I've noticed that airports often aren't close to anything worth your time once you land. I can only imagine it's more of the same in the backcountry...unless you're landing where you want to be.

Trent Palmer uses the onewheel, by I've got no clue if this is a gimmick meant to draw more clicks, or if there's real value in having something to get around on the other end....or is it just easiest to take the heel-toe express?

What do you guys use to get around at the objective?

Default Re: One wheels, E-Scooters, collapsible bikes, etc.

Orthopedic surgeons love One Wheels. That is how they pay for their kids college fixing broken collar bones. I walk or use the FBO's crew car when visiting and use my beach cruiser at my home airport.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

I've also got a one wheel. Where I fly there are no courtesy anything - so it is nice to have depending on what you want to accomplish. It's also not for the average person either. If you're not into skateboards, snowboarding or any other serious activity you'll end up on your face. Hell, I did just that today. Was crossing a grass runway at walking pace and ate ****. Good thing the grass was soft (although likely the reason I ended up on my back).
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

I?m 50 and I bought a 50lb electric scooter (Apollo Go). I?ve been riding it around a bit. My idea was to fold it up and slip it through the turtle deck. I was surprised when a couple of 20 year olds had trouble riding it. It does remind me of riding a skateboard when I was a kid. My hybrid flight helmet would do double duty for the scooter in a pinch. It has plenty of range but I will have to carefully lift 50lbs five feet into the air to make it work.

I've been flying for 37 years and when I first started flying, I thought I would get a fold up bike to have when landing away from home. Well, 37 years later and I'm still thinking about it!! LOL Seriously, never really had any problem walking, courtesy car, or a ride. The other issue is if I am traveling away from home, I generally have limited space after tossing in safety/survival gear, overnite stuff if needed, etc. When I had a 4-seater, it's basically a two seat with gear.

I?ve been using a Spencer E-bike for over (5) years. I?m a fragile old f*#k so I figure it?s less risk. I may look like a 185 lb. circus clown on it, but no broken bones so far. I?m still using the original battery pack which lasts all weekend on a charge. The bike goes in through the turtle deck and adds some weight on the tail which is good for a nose heavy pilot like me. 😂 Cool factor: low. Practicality factor: high!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a really nice-looking plane! I like the bike too.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

I have a OneWheel PintX. Im not certain why I haven't broken any bones yet but I have come very close twice. Once was on my own because I tried to leave dirt onto a sidewalk at an angle. This rolled the board one way while I went the opposite right onto my hands and knees on pavement. I had nerve injury to both knee caps for about 2 years where I had numb skin. The other time was when the mother board failed while accelerating. It shut down and left me in the dirt. Shoulder pain for about a month. The last thing, for which I need to send it back for diagnosis, was when the board took off all by itself after I hopped off. Top speed down the middle of the sidewalk right into the side of a car that was pulling out from a parking lot onto the street. Scared the occupants to death as this thing weighs a ton and traveling at 18mph it made quite a thump when it hit the tire. Thankfully that is all that it hit. No damage except my Pint now stutters when accelerating. Feels something like a slipping clutch. OneWheel has always been very good with customer service if I may say that though. I will get this repaired and continue to use it. I like it. I probably have not helped their sales here but real experiences are what you need to be aware of. It is awesome for short trips from the house too.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie the pintx are notorious for battery leads coming disconnected! I have a pintx and haven taken many of fall. I have gotten good at the tuck and roll to save the shoulders and the collar bone. I called onewheel and they said send it to them but its out of warranty. I decided to fix it myself. Pulled it apart and sure enough negative lead was not even connected. Also balance leads where crushed. Crazy it even worked. I had to modify the case by opening up the plastic so it will quit crushing the balance leads. Soldered the battery and its been good to go. Onewheel is nice because it light and will go about 20 miles. They are easy to throw in cargo and I use it all the time in the plane. I take it to Johnson Creek and ride it to yellow pine to get a burger. The safest and most efficient is a EUC though. They are fast smooth and go for a very long time. Scott Noble has one and you can cruise 15-20 no problem where the onewheel is past its limits. Downside is they are heavy.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks Dustin. I'll try opening it up.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X