Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Aeronautical engineer question?

Default Aeronautical engineer question?

I am far from the title but my question is, what percent of the weight of a kitfox sti is carried on the bottom of the main wing and what percent is carried from the lift on top of the wing?
    I have looked at several wing profiles in the NACA files but I am still not smart enough to figure anything out.
    http://airfoiltools.com/search/index...&m%5Bsort%5D=1
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Default Re: Aeronautical engineer question?

I'm no AE either Harlan, but it's an interesting question that I also have wondered about. I think it has been established that a large portion (how large?) of the lift is due to the downward deflection of the airstream which Newton's Second Law says an equal upward force is produced, which is why a flat sheet of plywood will fly. The Bernoulli reduction of pressure on the top side of course adds to it, but my suspicion is that this force is smaller, at least at the speeds we normally fly. I'm sure this mix of lift forces changes substantially as AOA changes, such as cruise vs. landing/takeoff. In the old days wings were usually much thicker; I think because people were more tuned into the Bernoulli Principle rather than downward deflection reaction forces, because it takes wind tunnels and fluid dynamic modeling to study this. Maybe someone who really knows will chime in with some numbers?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I'm no AE either Harlan, but it's an interesting question that I also have wondered about. I think it has been established that a large portion (how large?) of the lift is due to the downward deflection of the airstream which Newton's Second Law says an equal upward force is produced, which is why a flat sheet of plywood will fly. The Bernoulli reduction of pressure on the top side of course adds to it, but my suspicion is that this force is smaller, at least at the speeds we normally fly. I'm sure this mix of lift forces changes substantially as AOA changes, such as cruise vs. landing/takeoff. In the old days wings were usually much thicker; I think because people were more tuned into the Bernoulli Principle rather than downward deflection reaction forces, because it takes wind tunnels and fluid dynamic modeling to study this. Maybe someone who really knows will chime in with some numbers?

Thanks Jim. I have always thought there was a good bit of lift from the top of the wing in the thinner high-speed air if you will. But after watching some videos of the top of fabric planes in flight I've notice some with loose fabric sometimes just kind of waves or ripples in the wind at times instead of Constance ballooning like it was stretched tight lifting. This has led me to believe that most of the plane is carried on the underside of the wing. Nothing scientific about my quote just observations.
    I'm sure someone will know. Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne

The pressure distribution varies with angle of attack, so can't really give one number percentage. Have a look at this example of pressure distribution and you will get an idea.

John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

You are absolutely right John. I am interested in cruise flight. I failed to mention that. Thanks.
    Harlan and Susan Payne